April 27, 2024, 01:43:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam chain tensioners

Started by alstar2, February 26, 2024, 10:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

which tensioners to buy 2006 soft tail,spring tensioners thanks  Al

alstar2

thanks SPD33DY.i have that tool but should the springs be replaced?

hattitude

IMHO, with lower miles and no damage to the tensioners, I see no need to change the springs..

For awhile, Twin Power was using Cyco pads on their spring cam tensioners... so If you don't want to get the tool, or feel the need to replace the whole tensioner, you can just buy a new Twin Power Tensioner.. Inner & outer (I forget which is which) #25-047 & #25-048.

NOTE: It was about 3 or 4 years ago that I read where a guy asked Twin Power if they used the Cyco pads, and a Twin Power rep answered that they did... again that was about 3-4 years ago, unsure if it's still true

Hossamania

Once you release the tensioners and feel the pressure still being exerted by the springs, you will feel more comfortable reusing them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

SP33DY

Quote from: alstar2 on February 26, 2024, 03:20:27 PMthanks SPD33DY.i have that tool but should the springs be replaced?

In most cases the tensioner spring itself seems to be good. It would be nice to have a recommended force that could be checked with a 1/4" drive beam torque wrench. Now that the idea is planted in my one remaining brain cell, I will have to measure the force the next time I have one to change and compare it to a new one.