April 27, 2024, 04:50:43 AM

News:

2019 stock Limited 114 spark plug life ??

Started by r0de_runr, February 27, 2024, 04:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

I have the service sheets from the previous owner of my Limited. The dealer replaced all 4 plugs at the 1k, 5k,10k and 15k services.

Book says 30k miles or 2 years.

With modern fuel, reasonable stock compression, and normal riding (no racing or lugging) won't the plugs last a long time?

My 2013 F150 5.0 went 115,000 miles on its original plugs.

Is the worry here wear of the sparking parts? Or welding of the plug into the head by carbon and corrosion?

Or is it a way for the dealership to earn more service revenue.

I plan on doing this myself, but wanted to go the full 30k or even push it to 40k (from the last one the dealer did).

<<<☆)))  Greg
Rftw.us come ride with us.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

FloridaJim5

I replace mine every 2 years whether they need it or not just to make sure they don't seize in the heads. They always look perfectly ok, but since I have to pull the tank they get replaced.   

cheech

Quote from: r0de_runr on February 27, 2024, 04:11:47 PMOr is it a way for the dealership to earn more service revenue.

At those intervals as you said above 1000 percent.

I'd say they have some sort of tiered "gold" or whatever BS marketing term they call it, service plan where even though they aren't needed as per the OEM service schedule they throw whatever the plan calls for at them.
FOR THE REVENUE.

You actually have the invoices?
If so what they gouge for those plugs?

r0de_runr

Quote from: cheech on February 27, 2024, 04:53:01 PM
Quote from: r0de_runr on February 27, 2024, 04:11:47 PMOr is it a way for the dealership to earn more service revenue.

At those intervals as you said above 1000 percent.

I'd say they have some sort of tiered "gold" or whatever BS marketing term they call it, service plan where even though they aren't needed as per the OEM service schedule they throw whatever the plan calls for at them.
FOR THE REVENUE.

You actually have the invoices?
If so what they gouge for those plugs?
I don't have invoices, I have a printout from the service department.  No prices listed for parts or labor.

Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

JSD

Iridium plugs are good for 60,ooo . 

HogMike

Quote from: JSD on February 27, 2024, 08:58:44 PMIridium plugs are good for 60,ooo .

👍

I pulled my plugs out at 20k on my 2019 and was surprised how worn they were.
Replaced at that time with NGK iridium, then replaced again at 60k even though they looked/ran fine.
I'm a fan of the iridium plugs, run them in all my bikes.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hrdtail78

A plug properly gaped and installed on a properly tuned bike.  Should go 100,000.  BUT IIRC the book calls for 2 years or 30,000.  I do not understand the calendar life on a plug.
Semper Fi

Hossamania

I'm assuming the calendar spec is to prevent galling? I use a small smear of anti seize so less chance of galling.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hattitude

Quote from: r0de_runr on February 27, 2024, 04:11:47 PMI have the service sheets from the previous owner of my Limited. The dealer replaced all 4 plugs at the 1k, 5k,10k and 15k services.

Book says 30k miles or 2 years.

With modern fuel, reasonable stock compression, and normal riding (no racing or lugging) won't the plugs last a long time?

My 2013 F150 5.0 went 115,000 miles on its original plugs.

Is the worry here wear of the sparking parts? Or welding of the plug into the head by carbon and corrosion?

Or is it a way for the dealership to earn more service revenue.

I plan on doing this myself, but wanted to go the full 30k or even push it to 40k (from the last one the dealer did).

<<<☆)))  Greg
Rftw.us come ride with us.

One thing to watch is what each dealership actually does at the required/recommended service intervals....

They will often have it posted, if not, ask in writing what their "(insert mileage here) mile service" includes... 

You will frequently find things in the dealership's version of a (insert mileage here) mile service that are not called for in the MoCo's version of the (insert mileage here) mile service.

When asked, they will often justify it by saying something like, "We believe it is prudent to do it sooner than called for."  Many years ago, when I had to rely on dealer service, I have even gotten the explanation, "Most people ask for that, so we added it to our service plan."

An example, recent owner's manuals called for oil/filter changes @ 5K miles, primary oil change @ 10K miles, and trans oil change @ 20K miles. Yet, many dealerships will change all three @ 5K miles. Personally I do that as that was the standard in manuals back around 2003ish, and it's cheap insurance in my mind. (the reasons it changed are suspect, and not because it's better for the bike, IMHO.)

My point is, many dealerships perform maintenance not recommended by the MoCo @ various different mileage service intervals.

In the past, I would point out where they changed from the MoCo's recommendation, and direct them NOT to perform their dealership added extras...

Specifically to plugs, how long they last is also dependent on what plugs are used...

IIRC, Copper plugs are 30K miles, but Platinum or Iridium plugs can last 100,000 miles plus...

In my Twin Cams the plugs are easy to change, like a 5 minute job. So I use copper plus plugs @ $5.00each, and change them at least every two years, regardless of mileage on my low mile bikes. I change them every two years on my touring bike which gets more mileage, but not 30K in two years.

Even if I had an M8, I would probably still use the copper plugs @ $5 each, and change them often... I don't see pulling the tank as a big job. It's fairly quick and easy on the newer tanks without a crossover hose.

I will use the Platinum or Iridium plugs on my Jeep Wrangler however, as you need to pull the intake manifold to remove the plugs on one side of the V6 engine. I will also go as close as possible to the 100K recommended plug change mileage interval, just due to the hassle of changing them...  I will change them early if I experience a possible plug related issue..

PoorUB

I know we are talking M8 , but on my Twin Cams and standard plugs I would run 20,000 miles and the would look fine. If I ran them to 30,000 they really needed to be changed, so 20,000 miles was the number for me.

5,000- 10,000 miles is just silly in my book!

I had a friend that would use my shop to service his bike. He put in a new set of spark plugs, got him it was an annual thing. They had 5,000 miles on them. I tossed them in my parts drawer and put them in my bike the next time around and put 15,000 more miles on them,.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hogpipes1

You can change them yourself
Dealer would like to change them every month along with oil change.They want the $$$$and are certified with bull "Potty mouth".Go by the book and find a diff.dealer