May 08, 2024, 02:44:33 PM

News:

primary adjuster on a 74 sporter motor

Started by One4Tone, June 13, 2009, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One4Tone

..helping a buddy get his what appears to be a 74 sporter..it's right side foot shift and the last digit on the motor # ends with a 4..anyway for a primary chain adjustment it had the plastic shoe ramp and a spring that is supposed to prop the shoe up but there is no tension left in it..what are his options there is no mount inside the inner primary for a factory setup..all he has there (in the centre) is a raised threaded boss for the primary holddown bolt...i never owned a sportster (own 2 amf shovels and a twinkey)..but i am trying to help him get it going..any tips , comments , are appreciated..thank you

jmanjeff

June 13, 2009, 03:20:34 PM #1 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:25:14 PM by jmanjeff
The adjuster for a 57 -76 should look like      

But if it looks like  1977-2008

all he may need is a new part B
1957  Sportster

eglideic

The most important and very best thing he can do is Buy the Harley Factory Service and Parts Manuals for his bike.
But you say, Hey that will cost a lot of money.
After you have had them in your hands for a while, You will say, Hey I'm going to save a lot of time and money with these.

One4Tone

jmanjeff..you nailed it right on..it is the late model style..the spring must be shot.. that is why we don't any tension on the chain..we do have a manual..but the manual is an early book and it didn't show the late model setup..but here is the 64 dollar question..how can it be right hand shift  and incorporate the the late model primary setup..could someone have adapted that change..?

jmanjeff

some pic's sour would help of the inside of the primary and the motor
1957  Sportster

One4Tone

..bike is not with me and i'm not much of a comp. wizard anyway....but  one of the former owner is a machinist ...we now figure it's an old case matched to a later model left case...