April 27, 2024, 04:17:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Raising vin numbers

Started by jrgreene1968, March 04, 2024, 10:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgreene1968

Anyone ever need to raise a vin number and had any luck?
Ive got a 02 fatboy and the vin is getting really hard to make out. Took over an hour to get my yearly inspection. They were using paper and rubbing pencil over it, tried soapstone etc.
I called my local police dept because I heard some task forces specialized in that, but they didn't serm to want to be bothered. They basically said im sol and just go buy a new frame.
I cane home and started googling and found a few kits that supposedly have the chemicals to raise a vin, but the way my luck goes, I would probably dissolve whats left of the numbers 🤣
Bikes a 02 model and it originally was a south florida bike, and I guess the salt etc started causing light pitting around the vin on frame, and looks like previous owner probably painted over it.
I called harley shop for shits and giggles and asked about buying a frame, and besides being stupid expensive, it would be an act of congress. Have to cut the neck off old frame, send it in etc before they issued a new frame with numbers.
I know I cant be the only person that has run into this, but again, the way my luck goes, I probably am.
Anyone have an idea?

FSG

take a good up close macro photo, a bit of enhancement and the VIN will just pop out,

I've done this here in Oz and had the resultant VIN Photo Certified .....

jrgreene1968

Quote from: FSG on March 04, 2024, 01:58:08 PMtake a good up close macro photo, a bit of enhancement and the VIN will just pop out,

I've done this here in Oz and had the resultant VIN Photo Certified .....

Haven't thought of a macro pic.
The guy doing the inspection was about to give up today, before he finally got a read on it, but he said I really need to come up with something because it's getting tougher every year to make out. I slipped him a 50 for his troubles today, and figured id get busy trying to find a solution.

Deye76

Have you tried contacting Harley Davidson, maybe an authorized dealer can re-stamp?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jrgreene1968

Quote from: Deye76 on March 04, 2024, 05:21:56 PMHave you tried contacting Harley Davidson, maybe an authorized dealer can re-stamp?
No I havent. I just called the local hd shop. I was actually kinda shocked when they all say your sol..hard to imagine this hasn't happened to others. Snd real hard to imagine scrapping a perfectly good bike over. The local shop said id be looking at 3k or more IF it could even be bought, plus 6 months turn around to send in the neck off old frame before factory would stamp the new frame.
He might have just been feeding me a line, I have no idea.
Ive got a friend who works for local sherrif dept, hes gonna make a few calls tomorrow, but said hes never had to do anything like this

FSG

lilchief

Now I don't know if this will help, and I don't know if Harleys even have them, but IIRC, cars & trucks usually have a second hidden VIN on them. The trick is finding where it's at. I believe it is or was used to identify stolen vehicles that had the dash and door sticker VIN's removed by the thief/chop shops.

jrgreene1968

Quote from: lilchief on March 04, 2024, 06:42:26 PMNow I don't know if this will help, and I don't know if Harleys even have them, but IIRC, cars & trucks usually have a second hidden VIN on them. The trick is finding where it's at. I believe it is or was used to identify stolen vehicles that had the dash and door sticker VIN's removed by the thief/chop shops.
A buddy mentioned that to me today asking if it was possible. I honestly dont know and couldn't find anything on google. I crawled around when I got home from work looking, but didn't see anything, but also have no idea where it would be if they do. If If my sheriff buddy dont have any luck with calls tomorrow , I guess ill put a call into Harley and see what they say.
I keep reading about the chemicals (acid) thats used by theft task forces works, but the local auto task force I called this morning acted like they didnt even want to talk to me. I even said at the beginning of conversation, im willing to pay whatever it takes. Maybe I just talked to someone having a bad day.

billbuilds

Hoping that you can get your VIN number raised somehow. I replaced a frame back in 07 when I t-boned a subcommpact that pulled out in front of me while on my 99 FLHR. IIRC, after turning in the steering head I got the new one in less than three weeks. Six months seems excessive. No price showing on Ronnie's for that frame so I'm pretty sure that means it's no longer available.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Deye76

I heard years ago there were numbers on transmission cases and on the lower triple tree that were tied to the VIN. Might be worth looking into.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jrgreene1968

March 05, 2024, 07:27:05 AM #10 Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:32:25 PM by FSG
QuoteNo price showing on Ronnie's for that frame so I'm pretty sure that means it's no longer available.

That might be why the local HD shop said if I could even get one.

jrgreene1968

Quote from: Deye76 on March 05, 2024, 06:01:02 AMI heard years ago there were numbers on transmission cases and on the lower triple tree that were tied to the VIN. Might be worth looking into.

Ill check into that. Thanks. Crazy how something sounds easy to remedy, but turns into major ordeal

cheech

My guess is someone went overly nuts on the repaint.
Unless it was badly corroded.
If previous owner or owners painted it why don't you try masking the VIN off and chemical stripping all the hack paint then maybe you or get a striper to highlight he VIN in white paint then just mask off and clear that.