April 27, 2024, 02:24:57 PM

News:

Servi-Car throttle cable replacement

Started by JamLazyAss, March 04, 2024, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I have a Servi-Car that I want to replace the throttle cable on.
It is internal to the handle bars, and has an adjustable rake front end.

I removed the cable from the linkert carb. Then tried to pull the cable up, but it doesn't move.
Next thing I tried was to loosen the tanks. No luck.

I'm thinking there might be a cable clamp in there?

Can anyone here give me advice on the correct way to completely remove and replace this?

Thanks
JLA
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Fugawee

https://youtu.be/hus8yPcDQLI

I don't know if this will help You or not.  But I guess it can't hurt.
Not a Servi-Car, but if You notice above the Carb in the early part of the Video it shows a Clamp that is just around the Cable Sheath not attached to anything, that I will have to assume it was removed for replacement after the Tanks were taken off.
Then it shows You the Grip End on the Bars and all of the Throttle Internals.
Good Luck!

JamLazyAss

I got the old throttle cable assm off today. Was a lot easier after looking at your video.
Getting ready to order a replacement.
I'm thinking it's going to be a nightmare trying to install the replacement. We'll see.

Thanks for the video  :up:

Fugawee

You're Welcome.  I'm glad to hear that it helped You a little.
Years ago, I replaced an Internal Throttle Cable on a Kids Mini-Bike.
Never did it on a Harley.  The Mini-Bike appears to be a bit easier.
The only thing that I had to do after the New Cable was installed at the Grip End was to cut down the New Cable due to excess length, get rid of the Factory Ball End, and feed the bare end of it onto the Carb, and tighten the Set Screw.

JamLazyAss

I removed an old beat up throttle cable from a Servicar, same setup as a Panhead.
I took the new cable asm and inserted it into the bars. But it kept on going. Can I assume the steel doughnut near the end of the cable is supposed to stop and get locked in place by the little set screw in the handlebars? The rest of the installation looks pretty straightforward.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JLA

HogMike

Quote from: JamLazyAss on March 14, 2024, 05:28:11 PMI removed an old beat up throttle cable from a Servicar, same setup as a Panhead.
I took the new cable asm and inserted it into the bars. But it kept on going. Can I assume the steel doughnut near the end of the cable is supposed to stop and get locked in place by the little set screw in the handlebars? The rest of the installation looks pretty straightforward.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JLA

IIRC I soldered the stranded wire end that goes through the end with the little set screw. Makes it easier and more secure.

I think I had to swap the left spiral with the right to get it to pull instead of push the cable, using an S&S carb.

Memory gets foggy after so many years!
🤔
HOGMIKE
SoCal