April 27, 2024, 02:28:02 PM

News:

Paint is bubbling on filler neck?

Started by misfitJason, March 07, 2024, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

I had this tank painted and the neck on the filler has paint bubbling due to the cap style. If I take a razor knife around the circumference do you think it will stop the bubble from spreading down to the tank itself? Also what should I then treat the other area with?

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Hossamania

Yes, scrape that off (tape off everything around it to prevent collateral damage, including the opening to prevent debris from getting in the tank), then sand it down a bit, clean it well. We used to use clear nail polish there to prevent the paint from chipping away.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

misfitJason

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

-deuced-

I agree with Hoss. Tape off the area and remove as much paint from the neck as you can. I'd take a big chip of that paint down to the drug store, might find a nice lacquer nail polish that's a pretty close color match.

the neck on the filler has paint bubbling due to the cap style
The cap has chipped the paint and then gas has gotten under the paint? What's the underside of the cap look like? Is it missing a rubber washer?

hogpipes1

As already said on prep. I would also apply rust eater type paint on.Type I used turns black and can be painted over.any bubbles on tank a needle would be my first attack. A good body paint man can advise better than myself.

Hossamania

Quote from: hogpipes1 on March 08, 2024, 10:12:42 AMAs already said on prep. I would also apply rust eater type paint on.Type I used turns black and can be painted over.any bubbles on tank a needle would be my first attack. A good body paint man can advise better than myself.

No bubbles on the tank, just on the filler neck. Very common.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.