April 27, 2024, 02:03:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

82 FXE starter question

Started by FZappa, March 08, 2024, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FZappa

Hello experts out there.  The '82 FXE is pretty much put back together and I surely appreciate the help you folks have provided me. My final (probably) question is this..... I'm trying to spin the engine over without it starting to prime oil everywhere in the new engine.  My starter drive gear will not retract from the big ring gear when I let go of the button but when I pull the negative battery cable the starter stops and starter gear retracts. All electrics are wired and working properly.  Does the engine have to start to kick the small gear back away from ring gear?

calif phil

Low battery voltage can cause that, make sure you are at 12.6 and that the battery will pass a load test. 

Dan89flstc

Prime the oil pump, you don`t need to crank the engine to get oil distributed, you coated the parts that need oil when you assembled the engine.

Starter run on can occour when the engine is cranked without spark plugs installed, also if the battery is weak.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

FZappa

I do have two of the four plugs removed so it will crank faster.  I was looking to see some oil pressure on the gauge before I fired it up.  I read that the engine has to start to kick the drive gear back away from the ring gear but that was on a small block Chevy.    Thanks for the help

billbuilds

On your starter drive are you certain that the snap ring that holds the shifter collar in place on the jackshaft is properly seated? On a slighty different topic, did you prime the oil pump?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 08, 2024, 12:16:58 PMPrime the oil pump, you don`t need to crank the engine to get oil distributed, you coated the parts that need oil when you assembled the engine.

Starter run on can occour when the engine is cranked without spark plugs installed, also if the battery is weak.

I've heard of this often
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

FZappa

Yes I did prime the oil pump.  And it was the plugs being out that caused the starter run on.   Thank you all for your help 🙂

JW113

I had this happen. On the starter solenoid (not the relay), there are two terminals for the heavy cables that carry the battery + voltage to the starter. One is shorter than the other. The shorter one connects to the starter, the longer connects to the battery. If you get them backwards, the solenoid will "self energize" and not let go when you release the starter button. Something to check out...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber