April 27, 2024, 09:48:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Acorn Nut Size

Started by Jim Bronson, March 10, 2024, 03:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Can someone tell me the size of the acorn nut for the upper shock bolt on a '13 Dyna Super Glide?
TIA
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

FSG

March 10, 2024, 04:22:27 PM #1 Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 04:26:41 PM by FSG
P/N 8185  .....  pretty sure it's 1/2-20   (that said -20 looks to bee too fine for the stud ?)

as you know it fits this thing

Jim Bronson

Yep, I just need the size. 5/16 I think.

hattitude

My 2016 Dyna Low Rider shows it uses the same acorn nut #8185 and stud #54666-08 as mentioned above...

I had one of my shocks off about two weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I used my 1/2-13 thread chasers to clean up the stud threads and acorn nut before reassembly...

FSG

Quote from: hattitude on March 10, 2024, 06:47:37 PMI'm pretty sure I used my 1/2-13 thread chasers

I'm a long way from home so cant check any further ......  but if I graphically cut and rotate a section of the stud and use it to count threads then I come up with 6 and a bit which makes 1/2-13 very near if not right on the money   :SM:

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll take the old one to Home Depot. They have various sized studs in a display next to the hardware section so customers can check nut sizes before buying.

Breeze

Pick up a bolt gauge card while you're in Home Depot. That & a pitch gauge are two must haves in a shop.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.