April 27, 2024, 07:14:55 AM

News:

Aluminum transmission pulley

Started by itsafatboy, March 13, 2024, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

Wondering if anyone has used these and how long do they last , and lets say its on a 117" with a 20mm belt was looking at the BDL one with the steel insert and hard anodized , currently have a 34 and want to go to a 33 , rear pulley is a 70

does the weight saving in the pulley make any diff in the bike acceleration or torque , since its 60% lighter? or is it not noticeable

i just feel the 20mm belt would eat it up faster and would like to know how long they actually last   

fbn ent

I put a bigger aluminum pulley from a well known company on my wife's Sportster. 3500K miles later it was worn out. "We said it was lighter, not that it would last." is what I got from them... :angry:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

The 1 tooth transmission sprocket change makes a pleasant difference. I would personally go to the steel for the better wear properties.  It'll actually be easier on the belt due to reduced wear and chafing.
KD

les

My aluminum tranny pulley lasted 15K miles before it was shot.  So, I put the old steel one back on.

JSD

The baker 33 I fitted was steel and drilled for weight saving 

FSG

sadly Phil Ross is gone  .....  I always wanted to get front and rear pulleys but never did  :emsad: 

Deye76

Quote from: FSG on March 13, 2024, 11:00:45 PMsadly Phil Ross is gone  .....  I always wanted to get front and rear pulleys but never did  :emsad: 
I would have liked to try his rear wheel pulley. I had one from him that replaced Harley's attempt at a compensator for the Sturgis primary belt drive, it worked well.   
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

jsachs1

I tried a few. They did NOT seem to last long. AND you need to replace the belt, when they take a dump. :angry:
John

kouack

Quote from: jsachs1 on March 14, 2024, 02:28:44 PMI tried a few. They did NOT seem to last long. AND you need to replace the belt, when they take a dump. :angry:
John

This, plus taking the drive line out to replace the sprocket 🤮 to gain next to none! The good old steel sprocket can go 100k miles...

calgary56

Years back, I took my Wide Glide in to a dealership for servicing, they said I needed a new front sprocket, ... when it was in for a subsequent inspection, they said I needed a new front sprocket, .... 26,000 kilometers (16,000 miles), running a 95" with SE203 cams, seems they used an aluminum race sprocket but didn't inform me, ...... after some heated discussions with the service manager, they replaced the front sprocket with a steel one.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

Deye76

Quote from: jsachs1 on March 14, 2024, 02:28:44 PMI tried a few. They did NOT seem to last long. AND you need to replace the belt, when they take a dump. :angry:
John

Alignment, shimming the front pulley very critical with Phil's sprockets. Alignment on a Sturgis, from the factory wasn't, why they came out with a poor attempt at a compensator for a belt drive. The whole reason the MoCo rejected doing business with Ross after initiating the contact, was the time required to align a belt, that wasn't required with a drive that had a comp. Many used his replacement as a "plug & play" instead of taking the time to align.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP