April 30, 2024, 12:43:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2011 Dyna clutch hub

Started by Twistedtwincam, March 29, 2024, 12:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twistedtwincam

Need some Skooling! 

Researched and searched myself silly, my Dyna is a model year 2011, before going back together want to make sure it's not needed. 

Doing trask basket, AMI billet pressure plate, AMI lock up, all new bearings, Even the S&S inner race, Evolution 30 tooth sprocket and chain, and aluminum Pulley.

Is there an improved Clutch Hub? Maybe Billet steel is it even needed, considering the inner hub rarely gives issues or does it, it appears the center is powered metal with aluminum molded around it? 

Only thing I can find is replacement style, and a SE what I think is steel but don't think it works with a diaphragm spring or the ability to purchase separately. 

Ohio HD

If you haven't purchased the AIM parts yet, I'd suggest reconsidering what you'll need. I think I saw you'll be building a 106"? For the price of the AIM parts plus a little you can get a complete clutch with a billet hub that will more than handle what you can throw at it. 

I run one with a moderately built 124" and have no issues.

https://www.barnettclutches.com/scorpion-clutch-7154.html

Twistedtwincam

April 07, 2024, 08:20:30 AM #2 Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 10:07:19 AM by FSG
Hey Ohio HD, your advice is much appreciated!

I sort have locked myself in early into my set up.
during the break-in of the 106 build, dyno runs the clutch would slip towards peak horsepower, knowing the clutch plates having low mileage ( 4000 miles ) before the stock 96 flywheels gave up. And liking the light spring I purchased from Fuel Moto the AIM / Fuel Moto Variable pressure clutch, it's the heaviest one AIM builds!

That solved the slipping issue completely and I was able to keep the OEM light spring with easy lever pull, making my daily commute little easier on my wrist.

Long-story, trying to just give you the details.

Next fun mod was Healtech quick shifter, and I stacked the clutch disc and plates as per Simon, best mod! it gave me the ability of wide open clutch-less shifts with just a click up.

The stock 2011 style non SE comp  started to show signs of weakness, then the Clutch basket came apart at around 6300 rpm shift into third!

Purchased a Trask-basket, new bearings, and instead of going with heavy springs I'm wanting to stick with the AIM variable, I did purchase the Pressure plate from them as well, and new Barnett clutch. Was hoping I could purchase a steel hub and the Barnett one being stud-less appears that it might work if they sell it separately?
Going to call tomorrow to Inquire! Thanks for planting that seed and will let you know the outcome.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.    IMG_0344 is missing  FSG

Ohio HD

Why I prefer a stout clutch over a VPP is because as RPM's go up, the lever pressure required to operate the VPP goes up. A clutch like the Scorpion has about 200% more clutch friction surface over OEM, so in moderate HP requirements lower pressure springs are all that's needed. As well it's a considerably heavier duty unit.

Ohio HD

FYI, the Scorpion hub will not work with OEM clutch plates. The Scorpion plates are wider, hence the hub is a smaller diameter.

OEM

Scorpion

Twistedtwincam

Agreed! I understand the theory, but under High RPM using a clutch-less quick shifter that cuts the fuel a supply and unloads the gear box, it gets used even while just riding around as Much as wide open,  it works perfectly and can't ever see myself going back to pulling a clutch lever at redline.

Prior to Simon's trick of stacking clutch plates any wide open shift from first to second would bang hard and break the tire loose, after stacking it was just a hard jolt and chirp!

Honestly going to use what I have, maybe next year pull the Reaper 574 and try the 594, and convert to chain final drive and loose the belt and upgrade the clutch to the scorpion 🦂 along with Andy Simon doing my Trans since he is a few hours away from my home. 

You know this game we are always changing looking for the last bite of power and reliability, last years parts if not offers to the god of speed are sold off on EBay, played with V rods the last 17 years, my first push rod hot rod, learning as I screw up, glad I got this site for advice 

Thanks

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 07, 2024, 09:37:19 AMFYI, the Scorpion hub will not work with OEM clutch plates. The Scorpion plates are wider, hence the hub is a smaller diameter.

OEM

Scorpion

Kinda was thinking the same thing when I seen those plates! Like I wrote in my previous post going to make it work for now with the stock hub!