May 08, 2024, 01:25:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

77 Sporty with 30,000 miles???

Started by joker, June 13, 2009, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joker

I am looking at a 77 Sporty with just over 30,000 miles and is stock. The owner claims that it does not run due to the carb needing to be cleaned. I do not not know if it has been rebuilt or not. What is everyones thoughts? Is it worth looking at and if so, how much? Thanks  :beer:

eglideic

Make him prove it. Show up with some carb cleaner, a few simple tools to do the job and a good battery.

xxxflhrci

I looked at a garage kept '78 last week with 20k miles.  It was wearing nice original paint.  The only things that had been changed was it had drag pipes, a different seat, Invader mags, a S&S carb, and had generator updated to one with an electronic regulator.  It was a very nice, mostly stock bike.....$3500.

joker

Yes, this owner is asking $2,000. I just wasn't sure about the 30,000 miles on an iron head. Last one I owned was in the 80'3 and it was a 1972. Thanks for the replies.  :beer:

Pynzo

$2000 isn't a bad price for a '77. Got any cash reserved for repairs?

Ironhead RON

Less than 1000 miles per year. Price sounds about right. Once you get it running at his place and you step back then the price probably changes. One of those deals where you puts yo $$ down and takes yo chances.  If it sat long enough then the gas shellacked up. And the jets took a hit. It's dead gas anyway once it's been there since last year. And if it sat outside then there may be H2O in the tank. (Does not sound like it. ) Any Iron has problems. At least at first. Don't expect miracles but have a positive outlook. Your call for the 2K. You'll need 2K plus, just in case. Good luck and let us know what you do and how you make out. 

Skelly

A 1977 basket case is worth $1800...it all depends if ya can wrench if needed and how deep your pockets are...went all way to east Tx from west TN to get my 78...look at Kelly Blue book...gave $2400...put alot of time and a few dollars in mine and would have to have over 3 times that to let her go now...possibilities are endless...gotta love it... :smiled: