April 30, 2024, 02:10:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing chalky coating from Boss Bags

Started by Jim Bronson, April 01, 2024, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I have a newer set of Boss Bags. They're great bags, but they accumulate a white chalky coating over time. I can remove it, but it always returns and has become a headache. Has anyone experienced this with BB or any other brand? I reached out to BB, and I'll see what they say. I can't believe I'm the first customer to have this problem. I had BB on my 2005 Dyna and never had the problem.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

WML57

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

I`d say by your description and by the way it returns it's likely a mold of sorts .  Especially if you live near a humidity source.  Try spraying them down with a weak solution of javex bleach and water.  The internet should offer  a weak mix recipe for mold remediation.  My brother is in the flood restoration business and does it to homes before remediation over top of water contamination. It kills mold and you can seal over top to prevent recontamination.    Of course test it in a hidden spot first to be sure it doesn't cause color damage and seal it immediately with a silicon or other heavy saddle leather protectant lube rubbed in deep. 
KD

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on April 01, 2024, 02:29:35 PMInside the bag, or outside?
I never thought to check inside, but yes, it is inside too.  :up:  The humidity inside the garage is around 45% and 55% in the house (The Taylor needs some humidity), so I guess that is high enough for mold to form. No salt around here on the streets. I'll get busy with some bleach. I only hope it doesn't come back. Thanks.

kd

Mold is like a mini plant with a tap root it feeds from.  You have to soak it to get the penetration to be effective.  Be sure to research mixture strength first and test it in a hidden spot.  Bleach has a tendency to remove or "bleach out" colours.  It takes very little in solution with water to kill any mature mold and mild soaking aids in destroying any developing spores.
KD

Ohio HD

For light mold I use 99% isopropyl alcohol applied very liberally. Let it stay wet awhile, then wipe off.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 01, 2024, 06:31:38 PMFor light mold I use 99% isopropyl alcohol applied very liberally. Let it stay wet awhile, then wipe off.
I'll give that a try and see how long it lasts.

Ohio HD

FYI, I use the alcohol with clean rags to get the mold off, then wet it as above.

Jim Bronson

I used alcohol on both bags and then applied some HD leather conditioner to one bag. Hopefully one or both work. I'll know in a few weeks.

kd

KD

nibroc

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on April 04, 2024, 09:00:55 AMI used alcohol on both bags and then applied some HD leather conditioner to one bag. Hopefully one or both work. I'll know in a few weeks.

The alcohol won't keep it away as it evaporates. I just use it for cleaning.