April 30, 2024, 10:02:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil filter mess

Started by roadkingdresser, April 01, 2024, 05:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

So how do you keep the oil from running down the front of these M8's. I've bought the funnels that claim to stop that but no. I cut funnels out of a gallon jug that works about half. I usually poke 2 holes in the filter and let drain over night and try to put wrags in under the filter,still makes a mess.I don't know who designed that filter setup but it's  :turd: .
roadkingdresser

kd

Consider a remote filter kit.  We'll worth it in time saving and no mess, period.  :wink:
KD

road-dawgs1

I put the HD funnel setup under the filter, punch a hole in the top of the filter, spin the hole to the bottom and punch another hole what is now the top for air. Let the filter drain that way while doing the rest of the work. Once drained, spin it all the way off.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

tomboyjr

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on April 02, 2024, 03:02:58 AMI put the HD funnel setup under the filter, punch a hole in the top of the filter, spin the hole to the bottom and punch another hole what is now the top for air. Let the filter drain that way while doing the rest of the work. Once drained, spin it all the way off.

Pretty much what I have been doing with great luck and no mess

roadkingdresser

Can you show me a picture of that funnel?
roadkingdresser

FLSTFIDave

The picture is the one I use.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

tomboyjr

I'm sure the funnel works, but I just cut up a soda bottle into a similar shape, with a paper towel under it.

nibroc

road-dawgs1

The pic I posted was the one on the HD site that you can look up (mods deleted the one I posted)
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

FSG

picpick, ksnip, etc, which host to an image site are your friends   :SM:

roadkingdresser

I have one of those, it doesn't work for me on the M8's Evo yes.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

Rags and brake cleaner.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

pendo31

The one in the pic is specific for M8s, it's different than the earlier ones and it works pretty well for me although sometimes a bit difficult to put in place.
East Providence, RI

xltjim

Seems that I make a mess no matter what.  Get no mess at oil filter sometimes only to either spill the bottle, forget drain plug when filling, kick the receptacle, and etc.  sometimes it's a total cluster of an operation.

Part of the experience and I am a clutz.

Hossamania

I can relate to that! Very few perfect oil changes over 45 years of doing them in all manner of vehicles. At the very least I'll drop something into the pan and have to fish it out.
I still have no idea what happened to a tranny drain plug and Allen socket for it. Took about 4 minutes to lose those.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

"At the very least I'll drop something into the pan"
Those magnetic drain plug tools another excellent invention. They don't call me "butterfingers" for nothing. :embarrassed:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

What works for me is with the bike on the lift, I jack the rear end upward and slide a 4x4 wooden step I made to keep the rear raised. Then I use oil absorbent pads under the oil filter, and sort of form it to flow towards the front of the bike, and have a small drain pan under it.

The oil should be warm, and I roll the oil filter off very fast and tip it up to prevent it from leaking too much. What does leak, much of it is absorbed by the pad. Which you should remove and replace with a dry one quickly as the oil can flow through to the other side.

Then shop towels to clean the bike frame, etc.

itsafatboy

i just end up using tinfoil shaped how i need it seems to work ok , never perfect

kd

:nix:   As mentioned in post #1.  Absolutely worth the investment.  This is what I use and is only one source of similar devices.  You can do an oil and  filter change with only one square off the paper towel roll. Check with California Phil.  :wink:

https://www.mooresensible.com/
KD

Ohio HD

Last fall Dan Moore told me he's closed down for an unknown length of time.

kd

Too bad. He seems to be a nice guy.  IMO Fair prices for great products.  I was just on his web site and there wasn't any notice like you show posted there.  I just rechecked and I see it now.  There are others offering similar kits but I have no experience with them.  California Phil may be of assistance though.
KD