April 30, 2024, 08:27:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Just bought a 23 fxlrs any tips

Started by motorhead_smf, April 02, 2024, 06:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead_smf

Any thing I need to look out for or know?

Bike has 2300 miles.  Said he did the 100 mile service.  Never had a bike any way near new so not sure when to service again.  Probably do all the fluids just because it's Spring in Michigan and it sat all winter.  Any reason why I shouldn't be running synthetic?  I've always favored syn motor oil.  Primary chaincase oil in primary, and a heavier weight in the trans.  Spectro, redline or amsoil.  Not trying to start an oil thread just not used to anything this new.  Only had an 04 twin cam and evos and Shovelhead's.

Any insight on these m8's is welcome.

calif phil

April 02, 2024, 06:28:24 AM #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:55:42 AM by calif phil
I would change it so you know what fluids you have, could have Syn3 in all 3 and your Spectro or Redline recipe  would be a much BETTER choice.  Then ride it for 5000 miles and change it again.  Congrats on the new scooter. 

motorhead_smf

Quote from: calif phil on April 02, 2024, 06:28:24 AMI would change it so you know what fluids you have, could have Syn3 in all 3 and your Spectro or Redline recipe  would be a much choice.  Then ride it for 5000 miles and change it again.  Congrats on the new scooter. 

Yea never been a fan of the 20w50 in all three holes idea. 

hattitude

Quote from: motorhead_smf on April 02, 2024, 09:24:15 AM
Quote from: calif phil on April 02, 2024, 06:28:24 AMI would change it so you know what fluids you have, could have Syn3 in all 3 and your Spectro or Redline recipe  would be a much choice.  Then ride it for 5000 miles and change it again.  Congrats on the new scooter. 

I can't speak for CA Phil, but I am not a fan of SYN3, let lone in all three holes...

I believe in engine oil in the engine, gear oil in the trans, and primary oil (non-synthetic oil formulated for wet clutches) in the primary..

When HD started selling Syn3 (after badmouthing synthetic oil for years) and suggesting it for all three holes, I had an HD dealer use it in all holes during a service. This was 2004...

My transmission sounded like someone poured marbles in the case... I made it exactly 3 weeks before draining the Syn3 out of my trans (and primary) and going back to specific oils in each hole..

Been doing it that way ever since...

biggzed

Congrats on the new bike. I think you will love the M8, I know I do. They respond very well to a cam and tune if you ever feel the need for more. You already have good advice on the fluid question.

Zach

Hossamania

One thing to look out for: exceeding the speed limit far too easily.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhead_smf

This is the bike.  I've ridden it very little so far but it's got a cam and pipe and upgraded intake.  It definitely seems like highway touring will be on the menu.  My bikes are all fast but nowhere near this smooth.  And this one pulls pretty damn nice as is.  I remember hearing about dumping problems.  Did the moco ever figure that out?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

motorhead_smf

Quote from: hattitude on April 02, 2024, 09:45:32 AM

I can't speak for CA Phil, but I am not a fan of SYN3, let lone in all three holes...

I believe in engine oil in the engine, gear oil in the trans, and primary oil (non-synthetic oil formulated for wet clutches) in the primary..

When HD started selling Syn3 (after badmouthing synthetic oil for years) and suggesting it for all three holes, I had an HD dealer use it in all holes during a service. This was 2004...

My transmission sounded like someone poured marbles in the case... I made it exactly 3 weeks before draining the Syn3 out of my trans (and primary) and going back to specific oils in each hole..

I've had the same experience in My 04 softail.  Ended up switching to spectro gear guard and primary chain case oil.  Worlds better.

lilchief

Nice,  I see you've got the standard touring bag setup on it. I think Advan Black or Hogworkz makes that bracket kit.

SixShooter14

Quote from: motorhead_smf on April 02, 2024, 12:26:29 PMThis is the bike.  I've ridden it very little so far but it's got a cam and pipe and upgraded intake.  It definitely seems like highway touring will be on the menu.  My bikes are all fast but nowhere near this smooth.  And this one pulls pretty damn nice as is.  I remember hearing about dumping problems.  Did the moco ever figure that out?

:chop:
Nice looking ride. Man, every time I read this about the new bikes I want to buy one.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

FLSTFIDave

Congratulations on the new scoot.  Looks good.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

rigidthumper

Quote from: motorhead_smf on April 02, 2024, 12:26:29 PMI remember hearing about dumping problems.  Did the moco ever figure that out?
The sumping issues were solved by the latest HD oil pump in mid 2020, or some went with aftermarket products. Either way, you should be golden.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

motorhead_smf

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 03, 2024, 04:14:18 AM
Quote from: motorhead_smf on April 02, 2024, 12:26:29 PMI remember hearing about dumping problems.  Did the moco ever figure that out?
The sumping issues were solved by the latest HD oil pump in mid 2020, or some went with aftermarket products. Either way, you should be golden.

Right on, good stuff.  Obviously I meant sumping autocorrect got me.

motorhogman

Quote from: hattitude on April 02, 2024, 09:45:32 AM

I tried using 20w50 HD oil in my trans about 20 years ago, (01 FLHT) It whined big time. One road test was all it took for me to drain it and refill with gear oil. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

biggzed

April 03, 2024, 03:37:08 PM #14 Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 04:10:15 PM by kd
Quote from: motorhead_smf on April 02, 2024, 12:26:29 PMThis is the bike.  I've ridden it very little so far but it's got a cam and pipe and upgraded intake.  It definitely seems like highway touring will be on the menu.  My bikes are all fast but nowhere near this smooth.  And this one pulls pretty damn nice as is.  I remember hearing about dumping problems.  Did the moco ever figure that out?

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Great looking bike. I think that color looks great with the bronze wheels. You are going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Zach