April 27, 2024, 05:46:59 PM

News:

Building an FXR

Started by speedwobble, November 13, 2008, 09:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmc, JSD, stickman53, bigfathog, Cracked Head, spyderchc, Samc, HogMike, HarleyFranco, Seadog, kouack, WML57, screem, scoopfraser, techson, MikeJ, roadkingdresser, choseneasy, Finn, fontana302, pdvr (+ 3 Hidden) and 118 Guests are viewing this topic.

speedwobble

I have recently bought an FXR Rolling frame and am in the process in putting together an every day ride and shedding my FXD and am looking for some suggestions.I have a complete Honda CBR1100 front end  with gold valves to go in and also a S&S107" motor and a Baker 6spd OD box. I have no primary and am wanting some advise as to what to use-chain or belt and which is more reliable as I cover a lot of miles a year. The shaft on the gear box is tapered not the newer splined.
What year starter to use and what oil tank will fit the FXR? It's a pre '89 frame.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

19camaro

If I were to get that involved with a custom project, and had the money, I would design a gear drive setup and have a local machine shop cut the pieces. Cool idea to mix and match metric and standart.

Buddy WMC

speedwobble,

Would it be possible to get a mainshaft for your Baker to be able to swap over to the splined shaft? It would be much stronger considering that you are running that S&S engine. Later model EVO FXR parts are also easier to find even though many of them are now obsolete.

I'm running the stock chain/clutch setup on my 98 hp 85" engine with no problems. I'm also running a Baker DD6. The only changes made were to add a Kendall Johnson solid adjusting shoe and an Energy One extra plate clutch. No slippage and positive lockup after nine dyno pulls. If I choose to do so, I can get 1 1 /2 feet of air between the front wheel and road in the first three gears. IMHO, chain primary drive setups are very reliable and are less money. Your biggest problem right now is getting away from that tapered mainshaft that's in the transmission.

baldoldfxr

If you do stay with the tapered mainshaft the rivera clutch is a good bet, I have one on mine & it handles the xtra torque & power of a modified motor , I agree with buddy on chain drive primary's simple & usualy trouble free,

Reddog74usa

I would swap out the tapered mainshaft for a splined and go with a -94 inner primary. that way you could run the twin cam starter and clutch basket with a VPC clutch set up and have a choice on either 3:15 or 3:37 gearing.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT