April 30, 2024, 09:18:17 AM

News:

TSM and Serial Data

Started by hrdtail78, April 02, 2024, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Couple of questions for the dealer guys that use the DT.

Does the ECM still look for serial data from a TSM? If it does.  What exactly for? Will a ECM know if it is a touring or a dyna TSM if mounted in the correct orientation for the model of TSM?  Or will the marriage fail?
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Follow up.  2009 touring. 

I unmarried my fobs with TR by setting serial numbers to zero.  Removed TSSM and grounded starter relay control.  Bike is running with TSM/TSSM eliminated. 

So, my assumption is ECM doesn't care about serial data or a "good health" check.  If the alarm isn't present or alarm is shut off.  I did not try and marry a TSM off a dyna I have laying around.  I accomplished what I was after.

So, the TSSM/TSM can be eliminated up to 2013.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

For my understanding, what actually gets grounded? The starter relay control terminal from the ECM, or the terminal from the starter relay?

hrdtail78

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 05, 2024, 01:39:05 PMFor my understanding, what actually gets grounded? The starter relay control terminal from the ECM, or the terminal from the starter relay?

The start relay control wire to ground (TN/GN) goes to TSSM and get grounded by it if: clutch, alarm, neutral, kick stand....?  if somebody wanted to and all the wires are right there at the plug of the TSSM.  Since neutral is finding ground.  One could find the relay ground through this.  Bike would have to be in neutral to activate relay.  Or could hook up finding ground with clutch switch.
Semper Fi

Hossamania

This site has incredible tech info. This is the first I've ever heard of such a work around, and now I want to do it to my bike. I will bookmark this and pass it on to others as our bikes age out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rusticwater

April 05, 2024, 05:19:33 PM #5 Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:28:52 PM by Rusticwater
I know squat about the Touring bikes. Yet when I think of my 2010 Dyna TSM, I also think of the BAS inside that talks to the ECM, I assume via the serial bus. I would expect a code, like U1064, to be present if the TSM was missing. I would be surprised that the MOCO would design/allow the bike to run if the BAS was missing without some kind of jumper somewhere.
Support the Maine lobster industry

hrdtail78

From my understanding the ECM checks communication with all modules on power up.  If it does not see them.  It won't look for it again until next key cycles.  So, it never lost communication because it never established it in the first place.  Same concept as removing ABS.  I removed it completely and no current codes.

The external BAS is simple and used as an analog to digital input.  It has 5v, sensor ground and sense wire.  Jump 5v to sense and you bypassed it.  I don't know how internal one works but I bet it's real close.  If not a pita to crack open.  Might pin it out.

Semper Fi