April 30, 2024, 11:47:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top end tick

Started by Ultraman, April 05, 2024, 02:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraman

April 05, 2024, 02:19:24 AM Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:58:52 AM by Ultraman
Just dropped in 2013 103B into my 2007 Nightrain. Then I installed Fueling cam plate, HP+ oil pump and 543 cam set. I have not fired her up for a few reasons. Firstly as i turn it over with a wrench and the plugs out i can hear a click that seems to be coming from the front exhaust valve. Click is once in a revolution and i triple checked the piston is nowhere near the valve at the time of the noise ( installed correctly ) and all timing marks are bang on. So what on earth am i hearing? Second issue is that the new motor has what seems to be temp sensors on the top of the heads with the pigtails coming out under the rockers and into the area between the heads. Also found a matching single plug on the backbone wire loom that has never been used. I use a Thundermax tuner and wonder if the tuner will utilize the info or screw things up? I feel that plugging it into the rear hear if used would help not hinder tuning? I choose rear as the engine temp sensor is already in the front cylinder??🤷🏼‍♂️Not my first build but it's the newest motor I've owned so... just don't want to fire up if there is even a chance i missed something.
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

Hossamania

I think the wiring in the rocker boxes are the electronic compression releases.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Tacocaster

April 05, 2024, 04:34:41 AM #2 Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:39:00 AM by FSG
Just a suggestion:
You could pull the Exh. PR and rotate crank (repeat with In. PR out as needed) to sectionalize a little bit more if you think it would help zero-in your focus to piston/crank/cam versus top end.

Short of doing that, a fingers-grip on the Intake then Exhaust PR through a rotation might open a door.

Just might save you pulling the rocker covers and/or rockers in vain.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

RoadKingKohn

What is your clearance for your rocker arm to the rocker arm cradle?

FXDBI

Did you check the clearance  on the valve spring to rocker box in the coners with the valve on full lift? Rocker arm to rockerbox cover? Bob

Ohio HD

The sensors you speak of are the ACR's that the motor uses to ease cranking when starting the motor. Just leave them in place, you may even want to connect them later if you see that you have warm startup issues.

Myself, I would take the rocker cover off and inspect the valve springs and listen with it open to determine what you're hearing. I think unlikely, but you could also have a sticky valve guide that is causing issues with smooth valve closing.

jsachs1

Quote from: Ultraman on April 05, 2024, 02:19:24 AMJust dropped in 2013 103B into my 2007 Nightrain. Then I installed Fueling cam plate, HP+ oil pump and 543 cam set. I have not fired her up for a few reasons. Firstly as i turn it over with a wrench and the plugs out i can hear a click that seems to be coming from the front exhaust valve. Click is once in a revolution and i triple checked the piston is nowhere near the valve at the time of the noise ( installed correctly ) and all timing marks are bang on. So what on earth am i hearing? Second issue is that the new motor has what seems to be temp sensors on the top of the heads with the pigtails coming out under the rockers and into the area between the heads. Also found a matching single plug on the backbone wire loom that has never been used. I use a Thundermax tuner and wonder if the tuner will utilize the info or screw things up? I feel that plugging it into the rear hear if used would help not hinder tuning? I choose rear as the engine temp sensor is already in the front cylinder??🤷🏼‍♂️Not my first build but it's the newest motor I've owned so... just don't want to fire up if there is even a chance i missed something.
Of course, double check, but the exhaust valve area will click at times turning it over by hand.
John

Ultraman

Quote from: Hossamania on April 05, 2024, 03:55:11 AMI think the wiring in the rocker boxes are the electronic compression releases.

I see, thank you sir

Ultraman

Quote from: Tacocaster on April 05, 2024, 04:34:41 AMJust a suggestion:
You could pull the Exh. PR and rotate crank (repeat with In. PR out as needed) to sectionalize a little bit more if you think it would help zero-in your focus to piston/crank/cam versus top end.

Short of doing that, a fingers-grip on the Intake then Exhaust PR through a rotation might open a door.

Just might save you pulling the rocker covers and/or rockers in vain.

All good ideas. Reading your reply reminded me that if it's valve train at all it will be every second revolution and crank would be every revolution. Ill dig a bit deeper when i get back home to canada. But good food for thought.

Ultraman

Quote from: FXDBI on April 05, 2024, 10:04:07 AMDid you check the clearance  on the valve spring to rocker box in the coners with the valve on full lift? Rocker arm to rockerbox cover? Bob

Ultraman

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on April 05, 2024, 05:28:38 AMWhat is your clearance for your rocker arm to the rocker arm cradle?
Good call, just picked up this motor. It has very low mileage on it so I didn't actually measure them just wiggle test to see if they felt in spec. Guess i better stop being lazy and go over her much better now that im concerned.i blew up the last one from floating the valve at high rev.( got cut off and blew my shift like a rookie) Maybe i should just get some nice beehive springs to go with the bottom end goodies.