April 30, 2024, 08:37:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Automatic compression releases

Started by 89 fxrs, April 08, 2024, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

On a 2013 FLTRX (Road Glide) how can I check if the stock comp. releases are working? I've got a new battery, charging system checks out but it seems to labor when I start it - like it has to much compression - it starts but not as easy as it should - any help would be appreciated -
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

kd

With a fully charged battery, do a compression test by cranking it with the key on and spark plugs out and grounded.     Next disconnect the ACR's, remove the system relay, or crank it over with the key off and using a start button on the starter solenoid.

It'll be much lower if the ACR's are working in the first test.  It's extremely important your battery is charged before each test.  All of the associated battery connections including the ground and at the starter must be clean and tight so actually service them too.
KD

89 fxrs

Thanks KD - where is the system relay you're referring to located?
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

kd

On your RG it'll be under the left side cover by the fuse block.  Your Service or owner manual will identify it if you can't find it on the panel label.
KD

Ironpig9

I too have a 2013. Mine is a Softail Deluxe and I noticed it took some cranking to get it to fire up. I discovered that if I hit the starter button and let it turn over once or twice and then stop. Then hit the starter button again it fires right up (i.e. compression has been released). Try this and see if it helps. It sure works on my Deluxe. Good luck.
"The road goes on forever...."