April 30, 2024, 04:33:17 AM

News:

oil level

Started by bobrk1, April 09, 2024, 07:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

on a 2017 slim do you check oil hot or cold, on kickstand or standing up straight?

Coyote

xlfan

Anyone know what year Softail engine oil level cheks went from straight up to on the jiffy stand?

kd

Quote from: xlfan on April 09, 2024, 09:43:30 AMAnyone know what year Softail engine oil level cheks went from straight up to on the jiffy stand?

I think you will find the year specific information you need by following the Owner's Manual link that Coyote provided in the previous post to yours.  :wink:
KD

xlfan

The link seems to be non-searchable from my location, but never mind, it was just of academic curiosity as my 2002 Softail SM calls for straight up and my 2005 Softail SM calls for resting on side stand, but they both seems to share the same dipstick part number.

Coyote

Quote from: xlfan on April 09, 2024, 11:33:46 AMThe link seems to be non-searchable from my location, but never mind, it was just of academic curiosity as my 2002 Softail SM calls for straight up and my 2005 Softail SM calls for resting on side stand, but they both seems to share the same dipstick part number.
You probably need to start from the top since you are not in the US

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

FSG

2005 Tech Forum refers

kd

April 09, 2024, 12:26:36 PM #7 Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:36:16 PM by kd
Quote from: xlfan on April 09, 2024, 11:33:46 AMThe link seems to be non-searchable from my location, but never mind, it was just of academic curiosity as my 2002 Softail SM calls for straight up and my 2005 Softail SM calls for resting on side stand, but they both seems to share the same dipstick part number.

If it helps, the touring model owner's manual states you check the oil hot (expansion) while on the side stand.  When in use with a sidecar (upright) the full level is 1/2" higher on the stick.  You have a different tank but I mention it because it will be comparable within reason.  It's better to be a tic under the full mark rather than over.
KD