April 30, 2024, 03:15:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evolution Aluminum Pulley

Started by Twistedtwincam, April 11, 2024, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98FXD, Dan89flstc and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Twistedtwincam

The pictures are of an Evolution aluminum pulley, my concern is the 1/4 inch gap where the teeth stop, as per Evolution that is how the machining process ends up.

my major concern is the edge of the belt being damaged or cut up, FYI my belt now on the steel pulley rides less then 1/8 of an inch from the edge on the front and center on the rear wheel pulley. 

Unless I'm missing something this seems screwed up? 

fbn ent

Don't know the answer but if I was you I'd return it. Aluminum doesn't stand up well at all. Andrews makes good steel pulleys. AND, while I'm at it I'll give my $.02 on rears....OEM are best.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: fbn ent on April 11, 2024, 01:41:06 PMDon't know the answer but if I was you I'd return it. Aluminum doesn't stand up well at all. Andrews makes good steel pulleys. AND, while I'm at it I'll give my $.02 on rears....OEM are best.
Did not purchase it for longevity but more for Drag Racing cause of the weight savings of 3 1/2 pounds less of rotating mass on the main shaft! 

Hossamania

Judging by the wear pattern on your steel pulley, your concerns seem valid.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: Hossamania on April 11, 2024, 02:45:17 PMJudging by the wear pattern on your steel pulley, your concerns seem valid.
Quote from: Hossamania on April 11, 2024, 02:45:17 PMJudging by the wear pattern on your steel pulley, your concerns seem valid.
My thoughts as well! This can't be correct.

fbn ent

Is the new one the same width as the steel one?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: fbn ent on April 11, 2024, 03:20:03 PMIs the new one the same width as the steel one?

Overall Yes! The only issue is the length of the grooves.

After looking at BDL, Andrews, and Baker all having full length grooves machined right up against the pulleys body, makes me think this is a screw up or a secret skunk works special belt slicer.

Going chain final drive, done screwing around

turboprop

Quote from: Twistedtwincam on April 11, 2024, 01:47:38 PM
Quote from: fbn ent on April 11, 2024, 01:41:06 PMDon't know the answer but if I was you I'd return it. Aluminum doesn't stand up well at all. Andrews makes good steel pulleys. AND, while I'm at it I'll give my $.02 on rears....OEM are best.
Did not purchase it for longevity but more for Drag Racing cause of the weight savings of 3 1/2 pounds less of rotating mass on the main shaft!

You are drag racing a heavy harley with a belt final drive?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

JSD

I used the Baker Steel as it has been drilled for lighter than Andrews etc. Th one you show dont look right 

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: JSD on April 11, 2024, 07:36:05 PMI used the Baker Steel as it has been drilled for lighter than Andrews etc. Th one you show dont look right
Shipped it back, ordered a complete chain conversion using high quality super light sprockets and a DID chain!

Twistedtwincam

Quote from: turboprop on April 11, 2024, 04:07:03 PM

My buddies at the track say the same thing! Can you believe the balls on me, for wanting to Drag Race a Dyna, I run a ZX14 into the 8.98 on a DOT tire, exhaust and tuned! 

The nice thing about the Harley is it's slow as "Potty mouth" dripping up a wall, I have a drink holder and a snack tray mounted on the bike, the sixty foot times are 2.12 so launching it gives me time to finish my corn dog and sweet tea as I clunk into third gear! 

Wait what was your question again Captain?

turboprop

Quote from: Twistedtwincam on April 12, 2024, 09:23:03 AM
Quote from: turboprop on April 11, 2024, 04:07:03 PM

Can you believe the balls on me,

My dismay at your decision to race a Harley platform using a belt final drive had nothing to with 'the balls on you'. Don't kid yourself. I doubt anyone on this forum is thinking anything even remotely close to that about your decision.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coff 06

I'm not advocating for the belt over chain.That being said,
There's successful Harley drag racers out there still using belts.
          Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118