May 03, 2024, 10:21:56 PM

News:

2000 Roadking, oil pump alignment

Started by 00FHHRCI, November 13, 2008, 09:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

00FHHRCI

Greetings to All,
I'm in the process of putting my bike back together.  I've torqued the 6 cam support plate screws to 120 in lbs.  I've installed the 4 allen head screws, lightly touching the cam support plate, and backed out 1/4 turn per service manual.  The next step is puzzling me.  The service manual states that rotating the engine, enabling the pump to find its natural center, tighten the screws until snug.  Do I just turn the rear wheel several times in 5th gear while tightening the screws?  Will this allow the pump to find its natural center?  Is there something that I can look at or do to be sure the pump is at its natural center?

Thanks
James

FSG

Do I just turn the rear wheel several times in 5th gear while tightening the screws?

Yep that is the easiest way. Pull the plugs out 1st to make it a whole lot easier.

Will this allow the pump to find its natural center?

Sure will.

00FHHRCI

Thanks for the quick response.  I took the plugs out.  I was wondering whats the difference per service manual instructions or using oil pump alignment pins?  The pins look like their tapered. 

James

FSG

I was wondering whats the difference per service manual instructions or using oil pump alignment pins?  The pins look like their tapered. 

very little difference, yes the pins are tapered, some make their own by putting a ferrel/olive on the right sized screw, although I have alignment pins I find it just as easy to turn the rear wheel as do a lot of the members on here.

Be careful with those cam plate screws, the ones through the dowels strip out easily.
Did you replace the O-Rings while you had the cam plate off ?
Did you put the oil pump together correctly, only asking as there's a few on here that didn't and had no oil pressure when they started the engine.

Tech Tips #55
August 2002

Twin Cam 88â,,¢ Oil Pump Alignment
This procedure must be performed anytime an oil pump is removed and reinstalled to ensure proper oil pump function. It has been observed that some TC-88 engines are experiencing oil in the air cleaner when the vehicle is driven at high speeds. The correction for this condition is to align the oil pump using the EVO tappet block alignment screws, P/N HD-33443.
1. Loosen all pump assembly mounting screws
2. Remove two screws diagonal to each other
3. Install tappet block alignment screws in these two positions
4. Torque the remaining screws
5. Remove alignment screws
6. Install previously removed screws and torque

00FHHRCI

Thanks for the response.  The reason I'm doing this is I had a HD dealer install cam chain tensioners.  The bike didn't seem to act right after I got it back.  It acted like it was running hot.  I've been back to the dealer twice.  They ran diagnostics and no codes, checked sensors, etc...  Well to make a long story short, I tore it apart tonight for my own satisfaction.  I found that the oring behind the oil pump housing had half of it missing.  I went to another dealer and bought all new orings, cam cover gasket, etc.  I can't find any dealer or local store that has the "speciality tools".  The one for the back of the pump, the big oring on the front of the pump, and the 2 orings on the side.  I've replaced all the orings.  I put the oil pump together per the service manual.  Wide gyrators gear set first, separator plate, wavy washer, separator plate, then narrow gyrators set.  The gears had dots on them so I lined them up on both sets of gyrators gears.  I then installed the cam plate and torqued the 6 screws to 120 in lb.   I wasn't sure about the oil pump alignment, since I don't have the speciality tools.  I had thought about putting a ferrel over two of the screws and snugging up the two screws and then torquing the other two as I turned the rear tire.  If it's not necessary to have the alignment tool, I will just tighten and turn the rear wheel, tighten and turn the rear wheel until I get to the proper torque specs.  I'm new at working on my bike, but have mechaniced all my life.  If you know of any pointers that I should watch out for, it would be greatly  appreciated.

Thanks,
James

FSG

.... The bike didn't seem to act right after I got it back. 

that has an all too familiar ring to it   :emsad:

I put the oil pump together per the service manual.  Wide gyrators gear set first, separator plate, wavy washer, separator plate, then narrow gyrators set.  The gears had dots on them so I lined them up on both sets of gyrators gears.

You've got the SM and are miles in front already, do you have the PM also?  The dots are so the inner and outer georotors go back the same way, I face them toward me when I rebuild.

If it's not necessary to have the alignment tool, I will just tighten and turn the rear wheel, tighten and turn the rear wheel until I get to the proper torque specs.

Yep, turn the rear wheel while tightening, some actually hit the starter while they tighten, I don't.

I'm new at working on my bike, but have mechaniced all my life.

Well you came to the right place and I'm sure you'll do more work on you bike in the future keeping those hard earned $$$$ in your pocket.    :up: