September 20, 2024, 08:26:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2022 heritage rotor

Started by bobrk1, June 28, 2024, 02:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

bought it new rotor always felt a little warped finally called the dealer to make appointment to check it, said its a part that wears like brake pads and tires so not covered I said it should last more that 9k. Just curious if anyone else noticed there bike doing the same.

kd

What makes you think it's "warped"?
KD

Hossamania

You can make a simple wire feeler gauge to measure for warp.
Also, sometimes some pad material will stick to the rotor, making it feel like a warp. It can often be cleaned with some brake cleaner and a red Scotch rite pad to scrub the rotor clean.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FLSTFIDave

My 2019 CVO Road Glide had the front rotors replaced 3 times under warranty for warping.  You could feel it when braking.  Harley spec kept increasing, first time it was 5 thousandths and it was bad.  Last time it was 8 thousandths.  You can feel it around 3 or 4.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

calif phil

Try a different dealer or call HD customer support, plenty of brake rotors have been replaced under warranty over the years. 

HogMike

My 2019 Limited had rotors replaced twice.
I took a video of my dial indicator and showed HD and dealer, and HD decided to replace wheel and rotors. I had to pay for the new front tire, but it was half worn out anyway.
Problem solved ever since.

:missed:  :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

Earlier wheels were made in Australia, later wheels made in China. Not sure where your wheel was made but it should be stamped on the inside.
 Just what I've noticed on some of my wheels.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

HOGMIKE
SoCal

motorhogman

All the way back to 2000 when my 01 FLHT was new. Front rotors were warrantied with less than 10,000 mi.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

IronButt70

I had the rear rotor replaced on my 17 softail twice under warranty for warping. The problem was the caliper wasn't fully retracing. The rotor would get so hot that it gave me 1st degree burns on my arm when I looking things over. After the second one warped I trailered it to the dealer so the rotor would be room temp. After getting it up on the lift you could hardly spin the rear wheel. New caliper, problem solved.
On another note, I had the misfortune of having a rear tire with cords showing (my bad and another story) and could only get to a dealer for replacement last week. Made a beeline home after the replacement on the superslab to avoid the rain. I knew something was wrong when I was leaving the dealership but I didn't listen to that voice of experience. When I got home the rear caliper and rotor were smoking because the tech couldn't be bothered to check that he had put the pads back in the proper place when reinstalling the caliper. The dealer is now replacing the rear rotor ( I have floating rotors and the rear one now costs $377.) the brake pads and giving me a caliper rebuild kit that I will do my self. How do you screw up a simple tire change that bad? Is it incompetence or laziness or both? They lost money on this deal. (rant over)

You cannot see attachments on this board.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

bobrk1

called a different dealer have appointment I'll let you know how I make out.

f-x-d-w-g

With a dial indicator and a rubber mallet I got my rotors down to 4 thousandths.  2004 EFI Wide Glide.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

bobrk1

brought it in today they checked it, told me .008 is in specs but mine is .100 had to order it going back next week to get it replaced.

bobrk1

got it replaced yesterday under warranty for nothing even washed the bike for me after 1st dealer said it wasn't covered, Sheldon HD in mass its the 2nd oldest in USA.