May 03, 2024, 01:38:18 PM

News:

O2 resistor

Started by MtnRider2, November 14, 2008, 05:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtnRider2

Had a major bike builder from Kansas tell me last week that its possable to buy a couple new o2 connectors and sweat in a resistor to take care of the lean problem with the 07 and newer twin cams. Told me also that the o2 sensor could be left out of the loop. Ok were do I get the connector, and what type or # for the connector and also what resistor? He mentioned something about a 5 ohm resistor, but it may have been a 5.4 or 5.5.

crazycalvin

You can put a resistor in the plug in place of the O2 sensors.  I have personally seen it done.  I do not recall the value of the resistor; it almost seems like it was a 10 meg resistor (Brown, Black, Green).  With the O2 sensors connected you could see the AFR oscillate.  With the resistors in place of the sensors there was no oscillation (fixed input to the ECM for all intents and purposes).  Anybody got a set of O2 eliminators from power commander that they can put an ohm meter across the pins and tell us what the resistance value is?  Later, Calvin.

x52gnr

There is a product calle nightrider ied that does this, reasonably priced as well
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

JimB

Nightriders IED or XIED set-up does a decent job for a Stage 1 build
I have a set of 6 mo old IEDs that just came off my 07 SG - $65.00 .... obo

Scramjet

I will pull the PCIII o2 emiminators from my bike tonight and post the resistance.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

hdtuner23

.996/1.005 According to dyno jet specs

crazycalvin

cheetah

November 14, 2008, 11:13:48 AM #7 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:19:56 AM by cheeta
As others have said, NighrRider has what I think you want. Just in case, here is the site.

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/
C
ps I have seen a post someplace where someone was experimenting with splicing a resistor into the wire coming from the 02 sensor to the ECM. Don't remember the value of the resistance nor can I locate the post.
If I can find it, I will post it here.
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

Faast Ed

Sounds like he wants to eliminate his sensors altogether. Not clear how that is going to eliminate his lean condition. I suppose it is possible. But then he might run too rich.

I think the Nightrider ied's or xied's are a better option. They keep the sensors in the loop, but raise the afr to a richer state.
≡Faast Ed>

crazycalvin

I don't think it will necessarlly get rid of a lean condition.  It will give stability to the input that the ECM sees, then you should be able to you use a tuner to change the lean/rich condition.  Scramjet, let us know what you find on your eliminators (I know HDTuner23 said 1 ohm), but I like to fondle things.  Thanks, Calvin.

MtnRider2

Thanks for all the info, pretty sure its what I'm looking for. Your right about unplugging it all togeather though, seems like it would even mess with fuel economy. Just another thing to tinker with this winter when theres too much snow here to ride.

Scramjet

I think you might throw an error code without the O2 sensors returning a logical signal to the ECM.

Anyway, checked the PCIII o2 eliminators tonight.  They are 1 MEG ohm NOT 1 ohm.  ADD ABOUT 999,000 ohms to the above post.

B

Faast Ed

Hey, at least you were close,...... :wink:
≡Faast Ed>

FSG

Anyway, checked the PCIII o2 eliminators tonight.  They are 1 MEG ohm NOT 1 ohm.  ADD ABOUT 999,000 ohms to the above post.

999,000  or  999,999 ?  :wink:

Scramjet

FBSG,

I stand corrected.  Long day.  The neurons are just not firing like they were early this morning.

B

FSG

Quote from: Scramjet on November 14, 2008, 06:31:32 PM
FBSG,

I stand corrected.  Long day.  The neurons are just not firing like they were early this morning.

B

yep I know what they're like   :teeth:

crazycalvin

Cool deal.  Thanks for measuring Scramjet.  Later, Calvin.

frydaddy96

If you've got a hours/days and want to do some reading, this thread explains alot about the IEDs/XIEDs and how they work with the ECM. 
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192793
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192793

They are voltage dividers, the nightrider site explains them pretty good and I think even has a diagram so you could make your own.  I have the XIEDs on a stock 08 RG. I noticed a little better performance (6th gear between 55 & 60, better roll-on over 60, no surging when riding at slow speeds) a little less heat and a little less mpg(1-2).  Not everyone has the same the same results.

Good Luck,

Frydaddy    :beer:

MtnRider2

Neuron's?...... now I gota get a set of neurons? Are those OEM or can I ugrade?

crazycalvin

I tried upgrading mine, but they said it was a lost cause.  I guess it was too many paint chips as a kid! :cry:  Later, Calvin.