May 01, 2024, 05:59:25 PM

News:

Inner cam bearings

Started by x52gnr, November 14, 2008, 06:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

x52gnr

I am doing some bolt in cams and woder if I should change the inner cam bearings. I was told the stock inners are INA and I should switch to the torrington bearings. Can any one point me in the right direction? What is the advantage to this?
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

fattmann101

YES! change the bearings. the Torringtons are a "full" bearing. All rollers no cage. IMHO the ina bearings are cheap junk.

JOS

Yes, change the inner cam bearings. The only time I wouldn't change the inner cam bearings on a cam swap is on a very low mileage motor. IMHO, you should also replace the lifters when doing a cam swap.

The INA bearings are junk...simply stated. Torrington's are the best choice. I'm not 100% sure if you're '07 has INA bearings, maybe some can jump in on this, but I'd bet they are.

FSG

INA make very good bearings so don't consider them as junk, BUT in this application the MoCo has used INA caged bearings rather than full compliment bearings.

The Torrington/Timken full compliment bearing B-168 (for your year) is a much better alternative to the stock INA.

x52gnr

Just ordered to from my local auto parts store....10$$ each
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

cheetah

Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

maineultraclassic

B168's are about $7 at your local bearing house.

B148's are for the earlier years, they are about $6.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Vermonster

Quote from: x52gnr on November 14, 2008, 07:48:31 AM
  Just ordered to from my local auto parts store....10$$ each

I sell genuine Timken/Torrington cam bearings on my eBay store for $11.95 per pair.
http://stores.ebay.com/House-Of-Harley-Bearings