May 02, 2024, 06:31:50 PM

News:

Tmax/autotune question

Started by roaddog, June 16, 2009, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roaddog

I have a Tmax that I have been running for almost 2months now. All in all I have been very happy with it. The only concern I have is when riding home tonight the speedo and tach quit working and both the check engine light and security light came on. I reintialized the Tmax and things started working again although the security light now comes on for about 20 seconds or so after startup.  I did check for trouble codes and there were none. Any ideas as to what the cause of this? Thanks

kdietz

June 16, 2009, 09:20:58 PM #1 Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:28:36 AM by kdietz
I havent' used the TMax in 18 months, but as I remember this is common and no cause for concern...usually just a restart will clear it out.....I had it happen a couple of times in 20,000 miles of use
Karl
'06 Ultra GMR/R&R/S&S 117" Woods TW8 TTS SuperTrapp 2:1 129hp/134tq

TLMitchell

Quote from: roaddog on June 16, 2009, 09:16:57 PM
I have a Tmax that I have been running for almost 2months now. All in all I have been very happy with it. The only concern I have is when riding home tonight the speedo and tach quit working and both the check engine light and security light came on. I reintialized the Tmax and things started working again although the security light now comes on for about 20 seconds or so after startup.  I did check for trouble codes and there were none. Any ideas as to what the cause of this? Thanks

Zippers sez it happens to very few bikes and suggests checking grounds, connections etc. I heard Firmware 4.8 was s'posed to fix it. I never had it happen until after upgrading to v4.8. Happens a couple of times a year and a shutdown/restart straightens it out. I figure it isn't a bug, it's a feature.

TL

Dennis The Menace

Happened a couple time to me.  Shut off the power and it will fix itself.  Dont know what causes it, but its not a big issue.  Just an inconvenience to pull over and shutoff and then restart to get on my way.  A red traffic light becomes handy.  lol

By the way, it isnt just Tmax.  I have had a stock HD ECM go nuts too, as have others on HTT.  So, nothing is perfect.

menace

7hogs

Dito

At least once a year.....................

FLTRI

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on June 25, 2009, 09:09:35 AM
Happened a couple time to me.  Shut off the power and it will fix itself.  Dont know what causes it, but its not a big issue.  Just an inconvenience to pull over and shutoff and then restart to get on my way.  A red traffic light becomes handy.  lol

By the way, it isnt just Tmax.  I have had a stock HD ECM go nuts too, as have others on HTT.  So, nothing is perfect.

menace
After over 10 years of tuning, owning, and riding these Delphi EFI bikes I have yet to have a Delphi ECM "go nuts". BWTFDIK? :embarrassed:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

nc-renegade

Quote from: FLTRI on June 27, 2009, 05:59:17 PM
Quote from: Dennis The Menace on June 25, 2009, 09:09:35 AM

menace
After over 10 years of tuning, owning, and riding these Delphi EFI bikes I have yet to have a Delphi ECM "go nuts". BWTFDIK? :embarrassed:

Bob,
I've had problems with my Delphi in the past as well as with my T-max.  I've had the Delphi stop updating the speedometer (serial bus went down), fixed by disconnecting the packard connector and reconnecting.  I think it was due to moisture in the connector.  But, it still "went nuts".
I've also burned up my A-D converter inside the Delphi through induced voltage.  Not as robust as some folks here would claim.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

FLTRI

Guess I should have qualified my statement a bit better:
AFAIK the Delphi EFI system has no inherent defects that require regular or infrequent "rebooting" to keep the system to work properly as evidently accepted as normal maintenance with some aftermarket EFI systems.
Of course abuse like voltage spikes and grounded circuits from water in connectors will take virtually any commercial grade electronics out.
Sorry for the confusion,
Bob

Admiral Akbar

QuoteAFAIK the Delphi EFI system has no inherent defects that require regular or infrequent "rebooting" to keep the system to work properly as evidently accepted as normal maintenance with some aftermarket EFI systems.

If a computer science guy wrote the firmware, it will have bugs that the author won't acknowledge. If a double E wrote it, it will have considerably less bugs and the EE will acknowledge that some bugs may exist..  :wink: Max

FLTRI

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on June 29, 2009, 09:35:08 PM
If a computer science guy wrote the firmware, it will have bugs that the author won't acknowledge. If a double E wrote it, it will have considerably less bugs and the EE will acknowledge that some bugs may exist..  :wink: Max
Who do you think wrote the T-max and DTT software? A computer science guy or a double E? :wink: Bob

mayor

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on June 29, 2009, 09:35:08 PM

spoken like a double E........

:teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions