April 27, 2024, 07:17:23 AM

News:

springer brake anchor

Started by ridgerider, June 18, 2009, 06:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgerider

helping to git this one on the road,

the brake is anchored with a flat bar with a slot in it...does not look safe to me..how can  i fix this? will a shackle bar oem 44226-36 fit? or is there a adjustable one? i am not sure how the length will fit..

its a aftermarket springer on a panhead frame i posted here due to it being a springer...

i know its not original, just want to be sure its safe...

thanks

ricochet

You could just make a new bar with holes rather than slots out of stainless steel and polish it out nicely or if you want to search them out find some heim joints and use threaded rod to have adjustability.  The heim joints ends look cool but really a ploished piece of bar stock would be more sanitary looking, easier to come by and cheaper.

ricochet

ridgerider

i don,t have any experence with a springer brake,

as it is set up now the brake moves +/- an inch with motion within the slot.

if i anchor it with a solid bar with holes will  we still have the required movement?

is there a standard dimension between holes i should use?

thanks for the help,, it will be nice to have another pan on the road again.

ricochet

Oh yeh.  I see the delema now.  A solid mount is not good since it has to move with the springer.  The heim joints and thread rod would be good and you could adjust it so the caliper is straight/parallel to the ground when sitting there.  There will be some movement front to back as well as up and down but the front and back movement will be minimal and not affect stopping I believe.  A perfect setup would put the anchor rod parallel to a line drawn through the axle and rear springer leg mounting bolt creating a parallelogram but you could only do that by moving the mounting point on the rear leg up a little.  That's not really necessary.

On my girder setup below everything in the front legs is rigid so this was not an issue but I made a caliper bracket out of steel that incorporated the axle hole and the anchor on the same piece.  Worked well except the picture shown had the brake on the right side which gave me problems as is was being pressed against the caliper mount and legs and had some weird vibration problem under hard braking when you needed it most.  I've since switched it to the other side where the caliper is actually in front of the leg when moving forward.

ricochet