May 09, 2024, 02:16:19 AM

News:

Rockerbox chrome trim

Started by Dr. Shine, June 18, 2009, 11:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Shine

I want to put on some rockerbox chrome trim that I saw on my 99 Sporty (4 pcs. cover up rockerboxes)-Looks like you just take out the top 8 rockerbox bolts -put on trim -and re-install with provided chrome bolts-It SAYS "simple installation"-My question is, will I have to remove the tank for clearance, and I don't have a rockerbox torque wrench, is tightening by feel going to be good enough??-Just trying to figure if I should attempt this-THANKS

andyxlh

Hello mate
I'd take off the tank. If you have a stock tank you will need to remove the fuel line (a little fuel will dribble out - turn it off first) and the vacuum tube from the back of the fuel tap if you have the stock tap. Remove the bolts front and back and lift the tank off. If it is full of fuel it is heavy, so beware!
The rocker box bolts can be removed wit a cut-down allen key (a stock size one might work but is a tight fit). remove all 4, and  the covers can be fitted. Do the rocker box bolts up snugly in a cross pattern - do opposite sides of the square arrangements of bolts gradually so they snug down evenly. Don't worry about the torque wrench for these, snugly will be close enough. If you don't lift the boxes you should not need new gaskets.
IMO these covers don't look very good, particulary with the stock tank as you can see where they end under the tank. They would probably also make the rocker boxes very hot as they will have an insulative effect. What I did was buy a pair of the top piece of the rocker box in chrome, took both the top and middle piece off (which can be easily lifted off when the 4 bolts are out of the top) and painted the middle piece to match my bike using a rattle can of engine paint. Then i polished the bottom one with some autosol and put it back together. Looks a whole lot better than the covers, and cost very little more money. The top piece of the rocker box is part number 17501-86A - that's the alloy one you would want that bit in chrome (x2)
There's some shots of the bike on my site so you can see what it looks like (I did the middle rocker box in red)
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble