April 28, 2024, 07:58:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Let's Open'er up: Throw out swaping!

Started by Skinny Josh, November 01, 2008, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skinny Josh

'62 Pan, 4speed original tranny, blah,blah,blah...

Okay, I just got a new throw-out kit from J&P Cycles... it came with everything.

Has anyone ever changed out this stiff before and is it much difficult?

... I have always maintained a respectfully fear of trannys, both on HD's and automobiles. I haven't any idea as to why but I do.

Cheers!

CraigArizona85248

Changing the throwout bearing is easy.  Just have to remove the kicker cover to gain access.  Hopefully you didn't get one of the new style throwout bearing kits with the wafer style bearings.  Your OEM throwout bearing is a MUCH tougher setup then the new style.  Unfortunately some of the heavy duty kicker covers don't have room under them for the old style indestructable throwout bearing.  This is a common problem with the new ones...

Trip

The old "one pound" bearings were truly indestructable...if you run the new craap bearing one time, short on oil...thats it..its burnt ...useless.....you,ll hear it.

Skinny Josh

Great Stuff guys ... Mahalo for the pics Craig.

I think I did get the new style, 1-size-fits-all, set-ups. $30 I think.

Think I'll order the oem now... :-)

A task for next weekend!

Thanks as always Gents!

dave_9113

Quote from: Skinny Josh on November 01, 2008, 03:52:47 PM
'62 Pan, 4speed original tranny, blah,blah,blah...

Has anyone ever changed out this stiff before and is it much difficult?

With your kick cover, you should be OK with the old style heavy duty throw out bearing.  Buy the better aftermarket kit (bearing, starter gear, push rod, gasket).  There are some cheaper ones.  As to putting it on, you will have to take the current starter clutch that meshes with your starter mainshaft gear.  It's on the shaft tight so you probably need to heat it a little or have the right tool.  You will notice the starter clutch that comes in a kit has a little ball recessed in the OD. that rides inside the bearing. 

Easiest way for me to put it on:  hold kick cover like it's a bowl; drop your bearing in; put push rod into bearing hole; gently turn whole "assembly" horizontal and slowly insert into the tranny.  Remember to position your starter gear in the kick cover at the 7 o'clock position.  Good luck.

dave 

greybeard_541

On the new style wafer t-out: IF you get the heavy duty version of it, they work pretty good. There ARE 2 versions though. I had one of the J&P kicker kits, had the cheaper (one that came with the heavy duty kicker kit) and up graded to the heavy duty version.

I bought a repop pig nose cover from Tedd's and I could NOT get the early (big) t-out to work in there for love nor money! Put the wafer back in- it's done fine so far- coming up on 7,000 miles now...

Hope it helps,
Greybeard

triumphbruce

i am shure you did i count 14 spaces for the rollers and 14 rollers and see all the parts
finding all the broken parts is good.kickers in triumph's or harleys aint to hard to do