May 02, 2024, 07:48:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gold valve emulators

Started by gryphon, November 14, 2008, 12:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Now that I've got my Progressive 440's on the back and discovered how nice a ride they can give I'm thinking about doing something with the front end. I have progressive springs already but am also considering installing the valve emulators. Is anyone here running them. What has been the result of their installation. Are ya happy with 'em.

FSG

gryphon

Well, it looks like you're happy with you decision to install them. Could you elaborate on any changes you noticed. Thanks

ROG

I use them in my FXR. They separate compression & rebound. Allot of bang for the buck if your rake is 34 - 36 degrees.

ClassicRider2002

gryphon~~~

What model of HD are you thinking about installing the gold valve emulators on?

I have them currently installed on my 2002 RKC.  I can provide some "links" to what others have said about them inclusive of myself...via some past threads if you like.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

gryphon

Classic,
   My front end is kind of a mixture but a short description would be, FLST fork tubes with FLH sliders (lower legs). I'd sure like to learn a little more about these before I plunk down the cash.

Buddy WMC

Guys,

I purchased the Progressive 39mm 1"-2" front lowering and dampener kits for my 93 FXLR. Recently ordered some stock length 39mm Showa tubes from "Frank's" and have all of the internal parts. The upper and lower trees were plated at Brown's and look absolutely flawless. We will be using new HD chromed lower legs. I have a couple of questions before swapping out the front ends before Daytona.

(1) What are these gold emulators anyways and should I buy them and if so, where?

(2) The bike has 11 1/2" Progressive 412's on the rear and I have swapped the original 21" front wheel over to a 100/110 19". I have a spare 19" wheel and will mount a standard original factory sized Avon 90/100 Venom.

My bike handles like an FXR should, but is pitched up in the front, probable due to the taller 100/110 that is similar to the original 21". I've been told that the 90/100 will drop the front end about 1/2", but I'd like to have the bike sitting level. Any recommendations on how to figure out about using either the 1" or 2" drop on the Progressive front kit? My gut tells me to go only 1", but I'm not really sure.

gryphon

The gold emulators are discs that meter the oil in place of the damper tubes. Don't know much else about them except they're supposed to make for a more controlable/smoother front end.
    When trying to decide how much drop on mine I put some tape at the two inch mark on my fork tubes. Then tied a rope to the axle and ran a couple of loops around the bars. I held on the front brake and compressed the forks while pulling the slack out of the rope to hold them compressed. When it hit the 2" line I tied it off and there ya go. Forks compressed the desired amount. Then you just measure or whatever you want to do.

ClassicRider2002

Buddy WMC & gryphon~~~

You both have asked some excellent questions......while gryphon's questions are "specific" (lol) to the general aspects of the Race Tech Emulators and Buddy's questions are specific to an FXR application.....

Over the years at the OLD HTT site I acquired several excellent Threads regarding this topic....since I own a 2002 RKC which has had the race tech emulators since 2005 and I own a 1999 FXR2 it provides an interesting perspective. 

Instead of simply providing my insight I believe what I will do is REPRINT the various THREADS from the OLD HTT Site over to here and then I will link those discussions into this THREAD.

Suffice it to say, your questions entail several different aspects to consider and I will attempt to address them appropriately it's just going to take some time to put the information together in an organized manner.  My hopes are that you will not only acquire simply my view but via the THREADS other's inputs may prove benefical as well.

Buddy, it might even be appropriate for you to under a different THREAD to address your questions to bring MORE FXR Owners into the discussion....as I believe there are two different applications being raised here.....thus if you decide to create a new THREAD I will take those specific answers to that thread. 

Alrighty I will begin the task of getting this information put together for you guys.....I really feel that the "front end" suspension for either a "bagger" or for something as specific as an FXR warrants a great discussion.....so I am glad personally the questions have been raised.....

Great Topic.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Buddy WMC

Classic,

I followed your advice and so far, no replies from any FXR guys. I need to know more about this issue as I want this front end done and tested before Daytona. The fork tubes arrived yesterday and I'm only waiting on the fork tube caps. Everything else is on the shelf, so if I need more in the way of parts, I need to get them ordered.

baldoldfxr

buddy Ive put a comment on your original qeustion

ClassicRider2002

November 23, 2008, 01:37:24 AM #11 Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:43:54 AM by ClassicRider2002
"........Now that I've got my Progressive 440's on the back and discovered how nice a ride they can give I'm thinking about doing something with the front end. I have progressive springs already but am also considering installing the valve emulators. Is anyone here running them. What has been the result of their installation. Are ya happy with 'em......"   

".......My front end is kind of a mixture but a short description would be, FLST fork tubes with FLH sliders (lower legs). I'd sure like to learn a little more about these before I plunk down the cash......."

gryphon~~~

Well, hopefully the "THREADS" below will address some of your questions.....I would think that they will, I appologize that this took so long to put together.....but I had several THREADS from which to choose so it took awhile.

Suffice it to say, that there have been many over the years that have installed the Race Tech Emulators into their front forks on different Harley Davidsons through the years.  I for one have put the Race Tech Emulators into my 2002 Road King Classic, and they have been installed since June of 2004.  I did the installation in combination with the installation of chromed lowers so I basically accomplished two modifications at the same time. 

I truly like the way my 2002 RKC handles.  Is it because I installed the Race Tech Emulators, frankly I am not 100% positive. I didn't do the kind of R&D to determine that 100%.  The reason I say this is, basically I think there are 4 normal steps to take:

1)  Run the bike stock OEM set up.
2)  Run the bike with OEM springs and change fork oil vescosity and amount.
3)  Run the bike with Progressive Springs and change the fork oil vescosity and amount.
4)  Run the bike with Race Tech Springs & Race Tech Emulators & change the fork oil vescosity and amount.

Most riders will only do two steps, ie: run the bike as set up from the factory, and then possibly change the fork oil vescosity and amount, sometimes riders will change the springs and the fork oil vescosity and amount.  It's just rare that you will talk to anyone that has said they have done all four steps.....

Personally I have experienced running my bike with the stock OEM spring and factory fork oil....which I found horribly insufficent and then my next step was right to #4 without doing #2 or #3.  I have a buddy right now, that is running a 2006 Road King Custom with the "conventional" dampered forks (no cartridges in either leg since remember it is a RK Custom) and he ran it from the factory with the OEM factory springs and OEM factory oil for 17,000 miles, this past spring he went to step #2 continuing with the OEM factory Springs and changing the OEM factory Fork Oil to Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil with 10 oz in each fork leg.  He says it has made a world of difference and when he rides my bike he can't tell the difference in handling......My 2002 RKC is set up with the Race Tech Springs, Heavy Duty Race Tech Emulators turned 1.5 times with Bel~Ray 20w Fork Oil with each fork leg filled to 10 oz.  The next time I redo my Fork Oil, I will be putting in 11 or 11.5 oz, remember that the factory OEM fill amount is 11.1 oz in each leg for a RK, RK Custom, or a RKC.

So, the question you are asking, are the Race Tech Emulators worth the expense?  The answer is so subjective it's impossible to answer.   Let's put it this way.....for labor and materials the cost is approximately $500.00.   I very much like the way my 2002 RKC handles....so let's just say I can't do a whole lot more with it, but at the same time I feel I have accomplished alot with the $500.00 spent, my buddy who own's the 2006 RK Custom above says he couldn't tell the difference between my bike or his......so in his mind I over paid for my results.....he is happy and so am I.  Since I have no plans to ever purchase a new HD, as I really enjoy and appreciate my 2002 RKC, I will never be faced with the question of what would I do in the future....But I would certainly suggest going through all 4 steps and perhaps you will find a good result even before you get to Step #4.

Here are 4 Topical Discussions On Race Tech Emulators That I Reprinted From The "OLD" HTT In Which I Feel Are Great Discussions About This Topic, Simply Place Your Curser Over The "http:// address/link", Then Click, View & Read:

TOPIC: Race Tech Emulator Question   08-25-05
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1779.0

TOPIC:  Race Tech Emulator Fork Oil 08-19-07
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1784.0

TOPIC: RKC FORK OIL WITH PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION SPRINGS  02-13-05
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1785.0

TOPIC:  02 Dresser Front End  12-15-05
http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=1787.0

I hope the above has proven helpful to you or perhaps to someone else in the future......

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

gryphon

Classid,
   Thanks for thaking the time to get all of this together. It's been a big help.