May 02, 2024, 03:16:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil leak

Started by schrec, November 01, 2008, 04:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schrec

well 56k miles and my glide has sprung a leak.  from what I can see underneath, it looks as if it is leaking between the inner primary and the motor.  I know others have had this problem so I am looking for some advice.  I am debating if I want to try and do this myself.  I have replaced the drive belt once before with help from a friend, but I think getting the inner primary off is a whole lot more work than I am ready for.  Can someone give me some advice on what I am getting into if I do this myself.  My mechanical skills are good, and I have the factory service manual.  From the manual there looks to be some specialty type tools that I do not have. 

02FYRFTR

It is a lot easier to disassemble the inner primary than to change the drive belt.  Follow your service manual and you will have not have any trouble.  Primary nut ccw to remove, clutch nut cw to remove.  small amount of clear silicone on the four bolts that hold theinner cover to the motor case, use new "O" ring on the motor case and change the oil seal while you are there.  Be sure you install the right length bolts in the correct holes.

madtownrydr

Not that hard to remove the inner primary if you just follow the manual. The only special tool is something to jam between the sprocket and chain so you can remove the front sprocket nut (rt hand) and the clutch nut(left hand). One of the best tools I have is a 3/4"
drive torque wrench (36" long) from Harbor Freight. No cheater bar needed.
Also, I use only 60 in lb on the jackshaft bolt.
I don't know what yr you have but HD has upgraded most of the seals so the ones you buy should be the newest.

les

Well...there is stuff that can go wrong when you remove the inner primary.  Make sure that the compensator nut is totally clean and the sprocket shaft too when assembling with red loctite.  If the comp nut gives you trouble then use a pipe on the breaker bar and rap the socket on the side near the nut with a brass hammer to break loose the comp nut.

Make sure to chase the threads of the bolts that hold on the inner primary with a tap and die on the nuts.  If silicone is still on the holes then the new stuff in assembly can crack the casings.

Yes, you can do it but there is always something that can cause a glitch.

Now we have not even talked about the leak.

kbiforce

If it's the dreaded shifter shaft seal, be sure to get a Cometic replacement. Don't waste your time putting a HD one in.

yogi

try a site called fixmyhog.com, it's of some use