April 27, 2024, 08:56:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

IGNITION CIRCUIT BREAKER

Started by 73ironhead, June 26, 2009, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

..got into one of those electrical misteries; when I turn ignition the gen and oil press lights come up and go down with a clear sign of something sucking the ..light out of them... causing the starter to 'click' but not to start; charged the bat, checked the dyna, checked solenoid, replaced starter relay and went through all the front wiring and found the blk ignition circuit breaker  wire to the coil to be the cause of the loss of power. Do I need to replace the circuit breaker..or do I need to go through the rear wiring...do circuit breaker brake...?...cheers..LDV

Lew

The circuit breaker should be ok as they are designed to automatically reset after being tripped.  But....I've seen a couple that went bad from being tripped too often.  And I've seen them go bad after the guts inside fell apart.  As for the rest of the wiring, I'd have a look at it to be on the safe side.  Best to tackle those gremlins before they can do more damage.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

73ironhead

thanks Lew... I replaced the breakers and found  a funky wire...rode it around the block and feels ok...one more thing...do you guys gap spark plugs to 30,35 or 40..? cheers..LDV

olpigiron

I Run "Champion J12YC" and Set My Gap @ .030 Inch.

Cheers!!!!!

OPI
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI