May 07, 2024, 09:14:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Switching shifter

Started by tyson1989, June 29, 2009, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyson1989

Is it possable to switch a right side shift to a left side shift??  What does it take??

Eric :smiled:

eglideic

NO, NO, NO.
Harley tried that in 1975.
IT DIDN"T WORK WORTH A CRAP. I know, I had one.
Look at a 1975 or 76 Harley Sportster parts book.

Pynzo

I asked that same question a few months ago and was told that an early clutch mechanism ('52 to '70) would interfere with the linkage used on the '75-'76 setup. Early '70s bikes can use the crossover shaft shifter but you'll need to get a cable operated rear brake setup from '75-'78(backing plate, cable, pedal setup). I've heard from a few sources that the shifter linkage used wasn't worth a damn and had been advised not to even try. This link has a listing for all of the parts for the crossover shaft shifter from '75-'76.
https://www.masclassics.com/vtwin/0816.php

Lew

I've seen a couple home brewed switcho changeo shifter/brake setups that worked but were kinda funky.  I rode a Norton Commando and a FLH Shovel through the seventies and eighties with no problems.  Besides, right shift XL's shift better than the left side shift ones.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

IBARider

I think my r/s shift is cool.  Kinda throws the newbies for a loop.  never had a prob remembering how to shift either... Actually, you don't think bout it, the brain knows and it just happens....
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

tyson1989

Just wondered...  I'm looking at building a 74' for my wife's first ride.   Electric start of course.

Eric :smiled:

Pynzo

I remember a Sportster in Easyriders back in the '80s that had the crossover shaft shifter setup with a Jockey shift handle and cable operated foot clutch that was really cool.

Maddog

:wtf:    Why?????   Dont mess whith a good setup it works!!!  I have no problem switching from my Ironhead to my Dyna,  or anything else to that matter,,,