May 02, 2024, 12:44:04 PM

News:

LCD Monitor for Tuning Runs?

Started by VDeuce, June 30, 2009, 02:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDeuce

June 30, 2009, 02:13:06 PM Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:17:41 PM by VDeuce
I'd really like to get some kind of small LCD monitor that I could temporarily mount to the handlebars for VTune data collection sessions. This would also be of benefit for any kind of data collection runs, I'm sure.

Any idea what to look for? I suppose the ideal would be something around 4" that could connect to the VGA output of a laptop computer. I have seen some cheap 3.5" monitors that require an RCA input and have a resolution of something like 320x240 - would a VGA to RCA cable work, or would the resolution be a problem?

It would really be nice to know what cells you are in while collecting data. For VTune sessions, this would be a great help...

Maybe something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/mlP11-3-5-TFT-LCD-Color-Monitor-For-CCTV-Camera-Car_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef60e42f6QQitemZ270416102134QQptZCarQ5fVideoQ5fNavigationQQsalenotsupported

Not sure if this would work or not. It would require a VGA to RCA adapter and I have no idea how the low resolution would work out...

Blackbaggr

Not sure how you'd rig it but there are mini-laptops made by Asus (& others). They are even sold at Toys R Us.

Ram

If your going to get a monitor, IMO get one that you don't have to scale from VGA to NTSC or S-video.  You not only have the added expense, you have to taylor its input power to the 12 DC of the bikes and you may have issues with resolution after the fact. The one you chose is not VGA input.

But if your looking here is one to check out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-VGA-XGA-to-TV-Video-NTSC-PAL-SCART-Scan-Converter_W0QQitemZ350217416386QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item518a95aec2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

cts1950

I outfitted my bike with a temporary 7" computer monitor to monitor data collection for the vtune program. I mounted it to the dash that I usually have my gps mounted to. It made collecting data much easier than putting the lap top in the tour pak and blindly riding hoping to get as many of the cells completed. The photos show the mount of the monitor and the histogram for the v tune.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

VDeuce

Quote from: cts1950 on June 30, 2009, 04:30:10 PM
I outfitted my bike with a temporary 7" computer monitor to monitor data collection for the vtune program. I mounted it to the dash that I usually have my gps mounted to. It made collecting data much easier than putting the lap top in the tour pak and blindly riding hoping to get as many of the cells completed. The photos show the mount of the monitor and the histogram for the v tune.
That is exactly what I need. Can you tell me what make/model number of the monitor is? Is it 12V DC powered?

Thanks,

Jeff

waskier01

Great job CTS1950.  Would you mind giving us some more information on this, I'm doing some V-Tunes and this would be extremely helpful.

Don D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-EBY701T-Touchscreen-LCD-VGA-CAR-PC-MONITOR_W0QQitemZ370124088449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputer_Monitors?hash=item562d1d6481&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Ram

http://satechi.com/MIMO-UM730-USB-Powered-7-Swivel/M/B001OXSEPK.htm?gclid=CPDCu_X2tpsCFRINDQodO0MSAA

This monitor is USB everything in one with a single USB connection. If it works well in daylight and you can adapt the mount this looks like its potential solution!
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

VDeuce

Dewey and RAM: excellent options. I will have to look into these more.

It would be awesome to not have to guess where you are. You could see the cells as they are being filled in and target specific ones as needed!

nc-renegade

Quote from: Ram on July 02, 2009, 04:44:14 AM
http://satechi.com/MIMO-UM730-USB-Powered-7-Swivel/M/B001OXSEPK.htm?gclid=CPDCu_X2tpsCFRINDQodO0MSAA

This monitor is USB everything in one with a single USB connection. If it works well in daylight and you can adapt the mount this looks like its potential solution!

Hi Ram,
I just got this monitor and so far, very impressed with it!  I am using an HPMini and it has no problem powering this monitor up.  I plan to install on my ram mount tonight and try out a couple of Vtunes.  Should also be a good display for data records as well.

Looks like it will work well in the sunlight.

Thanks for the lead!
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Ram

Quote from: nc-renegade on July 10, 2009, 12:18:51 PM
Quote from: Ram on July 02, 2009, 04:44:14 AM

Hi Ram,
I just got this monitor and so far, very impressed with it!  I am using an HPMini and it has no problem powering this monitor up.  I plan to install on my ram mount tonight and try out a couple of Vtunes.  Should also be a good display for data records as well.

Looks like it will work well in the sunlight.

Thanks for the lead!

Glad to hear that its going to work out, would like to see what your doing to adapt the mount to the bike. If you could post a picture that would be great!

VDeuce

nc-renegade - thanks for trying this one! I've been interested in it. Actually, there is a cheaper 710 model for $129 that doesn't have the webcam in it that I might get.

Please let us know how it works for tuning and how you mount it, with pics if possible!

Jeff

nc-renegade

Quote from: Ram on July 10, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
would like to see what your doing to adapt the mount to the bike. If you could post a picture that would be great!

I am fabing the mount today.  Plan to use a standard Ram mount handlebar clamp, then use a vertical mounted angle iron to attach the monitor.  The monitor lends itself well for mounting.

I will take a couple of photos today and post.

Regards,
NC
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

VDeuce

Well, inquiring minds want to know!  :beer:

nc-renegade

Quote from: VDeuce on July 13, 2009, 01:59:32 PM
Well, inquiring minds want to know!  :beer:

I shot the photos today and will post as soon as I upload them to a website.  The only problem I've had so far is the power requirments.  It sucked down my HP mini battery very quickly.  I need to do some more work to verify and perhaps use my other laptop.  The screen worked very well for the VTune session.

VDeuce

Wow, so it does suck up some power...

Does it have a DC input jack? Probably could use a cig lighter adapter and feed it?

Ram

Its running off the +5vdc from the USB pluged into the computer as I understand it. I don't think that it has another way to feed power directly to it. 

Since this power issue prevents using the laptop pc at extended periods you would need to run a small onboard AC/DC converter of say 300 Watts or so, then keep the laptop pc pluged directly into the converters AC output. That should sustain things for quite a long time.   

I'm wondering with the power drain you have the laptop pc's screen disabled when the lid is closed too? That could also make a difference.

nc-renegade

Quote from: Ram on July 14, 2009, 03:56:44 AM
Its running off the +5vdc from the USB pluged into the computer as I understand it. I don't think that it has another way to feed power directly to it. 

Since this power issue prevents using the laptop pc at extended periods you would need to run a small onboard AC/DC converter of say 300 Watts or so, then keep the laptop pc pluged directly into the converters AC output. That should sustain things for quite a long time.   

I'm wondering with the power drain you have the laptop pc's screen disabled when the lid is closed too? That could also make a difference.

The monitor does have a seperate power jack...though I believe it is 5V (not in front of me right now).  I have my PC's screen disabled when it is closed, so this does not contribute to the draw.  I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet...I have only one run and it was late at night. When I checked the battery the next day, it was at 40%..though it could of recovered?  The computer was very hot when I took it out of the saddlebag, it might of shutdown due to heat.

I need to run the computer with the screen and see just how long it does stay powered.  Also, I am using an HP Mini computer, which has limited battery power to begin with.  My larger Dell laptop (D410) does have an extended battery, so it should work fine.

As you point out, the inverter would be one way to go, especialy if you have a 12V power outlet or heated clothing plug.  Those inverters are cheap now.

I took pictures last night and will post them.  I plan to run tests tonight and see what caused the shutdown.

nc-renegade

July 14, 2009, 08:57:52 PM #18 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:28:35 PM by nc-renegade
Here's my attachment method.  The mounting hole in the monitor is M5 .8 thread.  I only had a longer screw, so instead of cutting it off and risking damage to the monitor by screwing it in too far, I decided to use it as a stud and lock it down with a nut.  Since this is temp. for tuning only, this worked well.

I have a mount for my Garmin Zumo 550 so I used a spare hole in it's mount and used the ram mount to hold the monitor.  This provided a very sturdy mount.  The monitor is a little large, but since it is temp.  I did not try to optimize the view and location.

VDeuce

nc-renegade

I checked the run-time of my HP mini and the monitor.  It powered and played back the VTune histogram for 1 hour and 40 minutes with no issues.  The battery got down to 8% before I shut the computer down.

I believe it was an overheating issue, since I store the computer in a padded pouch.  I will try just padding the computer top and bottom and keep the sides clear.  This should allow it to run cool.  It must be the extra draw of the monitor that is heating the unit up, I have no problems using the padded pouch when not using the monitor.

Hope this helps!

Steve Cole

As long as you locate the vent holes and keep them open/uncoverd so air can get in and out you should be fine.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Ram

I like it, great install.  And the feed back on the laptop pc helps a lot too. 

Thanks for sharing.

Gary

nc-renegade

Hi Ram, thanks for the info on the monitor.  I ran a VTune run today at noon in direct sun and was able to see the monitor just fine.  Very nice display!  No issues on shutdown this time, I gave the laptop more room to cool.