May 05, 2024, 01:13:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel pump whine

Started by Biker, November 15, 2008, 02:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biker

06 Ultra with 31,000 miles, a/c, VH basics, VH fuelpak.  Got a new noise.  The fuel pump has a loud high pitched whine coming from the gas tank.  It only seems to do it when cold.  After the motor runs for 30 minutes or so the sound decreases.  My first thought was a bearing going bad somewhere.  Any ideas?

Billy

It's not uncommon for the tank to chafe a small hole in the pressure line inside the tank between the regulator and the quick disconnect.

Does the noise go away when you fill the tank?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Biker

The noise is there whether the tank is full or not.  I am familiar with that fuel line problem you mentioned and don't think that is the cause. It sure sounds like a bearing that is going bad.  Very high pitched sound.  I am going to take it to the dealer and let them fool with it.  I bought the extended warranty with this bike so maybe it will cover the cost.

Bluedresser1

Had the same problem with a 01 Ultra. Pulled the pump. Looked good. Put it back. No noise 50k later. Who knows?

00FHHRCI

Greetings,
I had the fuel pump that started whining on an 00 roadking.  I also starting noticing a miss after traveling at highway speeds.  Like to drove me crazy.  Talked to HD dealer and he said that I may have a hole in a line in the gas tank.  I ended up buying the fuel filter kit because it comes with the filter and the lines.   I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and looked for a line that may have had a hole in it.   Good thing I did.  I didn't see any holes in the lines but the fuel filter was stopped up solid.  I couldn't blow through it.  Replaced lines and fuel filter.  No more whine or miss.

James 

Biker

The dealer told me the fuel pump was not holding pressure. They are going to replace the entire pump assembly and install a new filter.

HIPPO

Most likely doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

Often whine is a dirty sock, but when I looked you could not buy them without buying the assembly.

kingvvk

Frank, Great to see you back and as a manager too. Dermot says Hi.   

Biker

The dealer replaced the fuel pump module 75126-06A.   Does anyone know if this module includes the fuel filter?  The fuel filter was not listed separately on the dealer's invoice.

HIPPO

k,
we E mail sometimes, say HI if you talk to him.

On the older bikes the fuel pump assy included the sock, but not the filter. I would expect it to still be that way.

FSG

No it doesn't, but that doesn't mean the dealer hasn't wrapped the price of the filter in with the pump.  How much $$$ is on the invoice ?

75126-06A    MODULE, FUEL PUMP    MRRP  307.00