May 04, 2024, 09:06:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

xm radio on 01 fltri with 03 radio??

Started by donutsrd, November 15, 2008, 05:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donutsrd

thinkin of puttin xm on my 01 fltri with 2003 raio/cd.any advice/help
2001 fltri 95" 37ggear drive pc3usb recored full sac muff rosas power port head

madtownrydr

I saw this the other day:
http://www.getfeetwet.com/products/SKU-010-N0408-02-Garmin-StreetPilot-2730-plus-3yr-Extended-Warranty-(Factory-Refurbished)__010-N0408-04.aspx

Ok people to deal with. I got my refubished Garmin 2610 there, same warrantee as new. I don't know how the XM part works. I see it has FM transmitter so maybe thru the HD radio.
Thought it was cool option.

crazy joe

November 15, 2008, 11:58:07 AM #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:06:33 PM by crazy joe
donutsrd  I put a XM Roady2 on my 03 about 3 yrs ago its been great.
Used a Ram mount and the radio plugs into the aux plug. The reason I picked
the Roady 2 was it has a lower profile when mounted on the handle bars, I don't
know if you can still get them. I can help with part #'s on the hardware if you need them.
I see you had your mufflers re-cored from Fullsac how do you like it
I have Screaming Eagle's on mine now and was wondering how the re-core would work compared to the pipes I have now

donutsrd

thanx for the reply,toyin with the idea.would like to be able to use on my house stereo/car when not on bike.ill have to get in touch with xm.probably wait till the winter blues get a hold of me,then investigate further,also gonna do the j&m speakers front only.as for the fullsac recores i absolutely love them.i went with the stepped baffle ibelieve they startat 1.75 to 1 7/8 to 2".the qualityof the welds were/are unbelievable.absolutely cannot tell the mufflers were touched.i should mention they were new as they were never on the bike something fullsac was concorned about(carbon build up)ive run alot of different set up.when new stk hd pipes hd touring muff.stk hd pipes v&h basic slip ons.bub hd pipestrue duals v&h basic slip ons.then back to stk hd pipes with samsan silver bullets.presently stk hd pipes with he fullsac recore.the fullsac sound close to stock at idle but really wae up when u goose it.the biggest thing is that u have the epa stamp on the pipe.hope this helps,sorry so long.

PoorUB

Quote from: donutsrd on November 16, 2008, 04:57:07 AM
ill have to get in touch with xm.probably wait till the winter blues get a hold of me,then investigate further,also gonna do the j&m speakers front only.

No need to talk to XM, just run down to your local stereo shop, Best Buy, Walmart, where ever, and pick up a XM radio receiver of your choice. What ever fits your budget. I installed a Roady2 on my Ultra a few years ago and it has worked great. The biggest reason I picked the Roady2 is Best Buy was closing them out a $20! I don't think anyone needs a bunch of features on their XM radio, except maybe FM modulation so you can use XM without useing a cord to the AUX jack, just tune the bike radio to a FM preset.
The only question is where/how to mount the radio. Right side, left side, RAM mount or something else. I bent up a piece of stainless sheetmetal and mounted mine to the front master cylinder cover using longer screws and a couple spacers. On a bagger you can also buy a differant fuel tank door that comes with a mount and put it there.
This ain't rocket science, it has been done thousands of times before you or I thought of it! Just buy a radio slap it on the motorcycle, stick the antenna to the top of the motorcycle's radio inside the fairing and go!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

crazy joe

I tried the FM modulation thing and got a bunch of noise from the ignition system
tried different stations on the factory radio and still ignition noise (I wounder whats up with that)
If you hook up to the aux port you will get the cleanest reception.
I agree with PoorUB it easy enough just pick were you what to mount it

donutsrd

was thinkin of putin rec. in glove box,run wire to aux hole,just confused on antenna.if it goes on top of radio inside fairing  how does it connect to rec?

crazy joe

donutsrd    in your case i would put it inside the fairing    mine is on the mounting
bracket which is mounted to the left handle bar. I set mine up so it could be taken
off and attenna and all can go with me to be used in my truck.

Glide1962

I put a SkyFi on my '02 Road Glide.  With XM I don't change the channel much, so I mounted it inside one of the glove boxes using a car kit.  That way it stays out of the weather and out of sight.  Magnet mounted the antenna on top of the radio.  Works great.

TexanKen

I've gotta agree with Crazy Joe and PoorUB, the Roady/Roady2 is perfect for bikes.  Had one on my '03 Ultra for a couple of years and love it.  Bought one of the mounts that attaches to the front brake master cylinder and has a flat surface for the small magnetic antenna.  Even bought a second mount for the Beemer so I could swap the receiver back and forth depending on what I'm ridin'.  Only problem I've found is trying to stay on the road while laughin' at the uncensored comedy on Ch. 150 !!
Know guns, know peace, know safety. 
No guns, no peace, no safety.