April 28, 2024, 03:29:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Question for Craig on CV jetting

Started by 04customking, July 03, 2009, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

Craig, I know I saved your cv jetting somewhere, and I had your site bookmarked too but that went away with MSN. Can you post your jet and needle specs for me again. This cv I have is giving me trouble and I think I've made it worse. It had the Dynojet kit installed when I got it. I don't know what is what with this thing. Thanks, Jim Oh yea, where did you move your pics and stuff to? That was nice.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

CraigArizona85248

Jim,

I never moved my pics and such.  Just a brain fart and didn't get to it.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of jetting info  :cry:  But since a panhead is my daily rider, I do remember the panhead jetting  :teeth:

Main Jet: 175
Slow Jet: 50 (if all warm weather riding, a 48 works well)
Needle: N86E

04customking

Thanks Craig. That's a shame you didn't move your stuff. That was a nice site. It must have taken awhile to set up like that. Thanks for the info on jetting, I have to try and get this thing running better. I'm going to pull the carb and start over with a manifold leak check. It was good when I started, but it's backfired a few times thru the carb so maybe it ruined an o ring. Do you or anyone else know a part number for the black plastic venturi ring that came with the old SE air cleaner kit? I want to get one of those for this too. I have read that not having it affects the way the slide works. Couldn't hurt, that's for sure. Thanks again Craig.

CraigArizona85248

J&P sells one for $18.  A little pricey, but its made of aluminum instead of plastic.  I don't have the H-D part #.

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=400-484&N=274366&Ne=755118&Ntk=All&Ntt=venturi&Ns=&results=10&No=0

-Craig

04customking

Thanks Craig. I don't care if it's Harley, I just wanted to get one on there. By the way, the bike is much better now. I may have to deviate a little bit but it's close. Timing may need to be adjusted a little too. Seems a little rich this way but driveability is way better than it was. Leak check showed nothing so that was good. Thanks again, Jim

xlfan

Plastic venturi ring for CV, OEM P/N 29179-88

xlfan

04customking

greybeard_541

Here's some info I saved from the old site- I have it in the original format (little skewed here) in my email if anyone wants it, just write me...

Hope it helps,
Greybeard

I didn't have a problem with getting jets at the dealer i just told them the jet size and it's for a CV40 carb. They should have a box under the counter or something like that with jets. If he asks for a part number just tell him to show you the jet box and look for yourself. they are clearly marked. As for needles i got this from nightrider when i was modifying my CV.
Jet Needle
Part Number Jet Needle   
27175-90
27176-90
27178-90
27179-90
27184-92
27186-92
27280-92 N72R
(CA Only)
N72S
(CA Only)
N86F
N86E
(CA Only) Rich
V
V
V
V
V
Lean
27094-88 1988 1200 Sportster   

Pilot Jet
Part Number
(Slow Jet) Jet Size   
27165-90
27170-89
27171-89
27281-92
27117-88 48
35 Rich
V
V
V
Lean

Main Jet
Part Number
(High Speed) Jet Size   
27105-88
27185-90
27114-88
27090-89
27115-88
27116-88
27152-89
27154-89 200
155 Rich
V
V
V
V
V
V
Lean

greybeard_541

Yet another thread I cut and saved...

I have had quite a few threads on this forum concerning Cv carb. The info from Craig and his pictures are always good help and candy for the eye.

Little info on my set up. Engine is brand new S&S 74" standard FLH cam, Mallory ignition and CV 40 carb.
To start with my plugs were running bleach white and I was experimenting on slow jets from 45 to 46 to 48, turning the idle mix out 2-3 turns. Still white. After breaking the engine in I also had some spiking in it, pluss that at WOT going 65 it kind of died out (like running out of fuel).

Put it on a dyna test. The CO reading were way low, and he endede up puttin ga 55 slow jet on it. Pluss turned the mix screw another turn out. Then my plugs became kind og light brownish and it runs pretty good.

Still i have problems at WOT going fast. One explanation he suggested could be that my home made intake was longer than original, or shaped in a way that required a richer "blend". My own little concern now is that if I running that big on slow jet, maybe my "running empty" at WOT also requires a bigger main. (having 190 main now).

What you`re saying is making absolutely sense mbskeam. One would think that the standard setup 45/190 that feeds a TC 88 sufficently, would be rich enough for a standard 74" as well. Nevertheless, both my white plugs and the dyna readings tell the same story. Lean.

That, combined with the strange behavior hat when sitting at 65+ mph for a while and then going easy up to WOT and staying there makes the engine "starve to death". Easing up and going back to half full throttle it runs great again. At WOT it also is pretty wet from fuel around he air cleaner.

Craig: It is STD heads with slightly ported. It pulls strong through the whole register and measured close to a TC 88 in the dyna test. The readings where 40 Hp in th test. That, I thought was low, but the same numbers for a TC 88 was 44-45 to compare with.

I`ll get all the numbers from the carb when I take it off again so we can compare setups and I\ll also ake a few pictures of how I have attavhed it. Could be good info for those who are going down hat road and they could determine what works best for their bike.

04customking

Good info Greybeard. I'm still messing with mine. It is very fussy. One morning, I give it two twists of the throttle and pull the choke on and it fires right up first kick. I can do the same procedure the next morning and I will have to kick it fifteen times. It's nuts. I don't have any confidence that it's going to start when I'm out on it. Yesterday I ran out of gas with it. I knew I was getting low, but on the way to the gas station it runs out. Pull over and switch to reserve, (new style, vaccuum type) and she fires right back up. One half mile later, it runs out again. Not much of a reserve so that's gotta come off today to check that out. Anyways, I need to get this thing starting better. With the jetting that Craig suggested, it runs down the road pretty good now. The pipes look pretty rich but at speed it almost seems to surge a little like it's still lean.  I've heard on here that the Andrews A, which I have, isn't the best cam for ease of starting. Can that really be some of my problem? I was at one time going to swap for the cam that Craig and a few others run but talked myself out of it. Maybe I should rethink. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Jim

greybeard_541

I've never heard much good about the Andrews A. I have the Crane 296A same as Craig and I love it for my basically stock motor! 98% of the time I can rely on standar starting procedure and the other 2% I gotta fuss with it some. I'm sure it's "operator error"... ;)

twincamzz

What intake are you guys using on these Panheads with a CV carb anyways ?

edited for spelling goof up. lol
not all who wander are lost...

CraigArizona85248

I use an S&S intake.  I also us a press-on adapter on the CV to convert it so it will bolt up to the flange on the S&S intake.  For the first few years I ran the stock S&S intake, then one of the guys here inspired me to section the intake and remove about 2" from it's length.  That was nice because it pulled the carb inboard and got it out of the way of my knee.  I also offset the intake flange about 3/16" to the rear of the bike.  This moved the carb back just enough to make room for the throttle linkage so it wouldn't bind agains the rocker cover mounting surface on the front head.

Manifold after it was shortened and offset...

Carb now pulled in nice and tight against the motor.  Just enough room for the throttle linkage...

-Craig

04customking

Craig, just curious, did shortening the manifold change the way it ran at all? I wouldn't imagine it would.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: 04customking on July 10, 2009, 02:31:35 PM
Craig, just curious, did shortening the manifold change the way it ran at all? I wouldn't imagine it would.

Nope.  I can't say I noticed any difference in the way it ran.

-Craig

twincamzz

July 17, 2009, 03:09:35 PM #15 Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:12:29 PM by twincamzz
Great info to know Craig. Thanks, I'll  pass this on to my bud who just picked up a '51 Panhead. I forgot all about posting the question about the intake until I was at his place today checking the '51  out.  :embarrassed:

edit:  Is the press on  CV adapter commercially available, or is that something you came up with ?

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on July 09, 2009, 01:57:53 PM
I use an S&S intake.  I also us a press-on adapter on the CV to convert it so it will bolt up to the flange on the S&S intake.  For the first few years I ran the stock S&S intake, then one of the guys here inspired me to section the intake and remove about 2" from it's length.  That was nice because it pulled the carb inboard and got it out of the way of my knee.  I also offset the intake flange about 3/16" to the rear of the bike.  This moved the carb back just enough to make room for the throttle linkage so it wouldn't bind agains the rocker cover mounting surface on the front head.
-Craig

CraigArizona85248

You can get the press-on adapter on eBay.  Search for "shovelhead CV"... that will usually find what you are looking for.  I haven't seen the press-on adapters available in any catalog.  They are made by a guy who goes by the name "machinist" on eBay.

-Craig

twincamzz