May 08, 2024, 10:56:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Senseless act of Stupidity ...kills someone!

Started by Skullfork, July 04, 2009, 07:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullfork

I was riding to St. Clairsville from Cambridge on I-70 when almost immediately I came upon this accident and got stuck in the traffic. As I went by I saw the bike (looked like a Street Glide) and knew it was bad, but didn't know what happened until I read the paper yesterday.  Saddens me that people can be so stupid enough to do what this ederly gentleman tried to do and killed someone ...stay careful out there!

http://www.daily-jeff.com/news/article/4621551

Maddog

RE sad    yeah an the worse the driver will get is for doing a illegal turn,,,,,, Sorry but the old guy should be charged with manslaughter an locked up Time to get these people off the roads  Prayers go out to the  bikers family

09fltr

Man that really sucks. Sorry to hear about that, they should definitely lock up the guy that was driving.

Kansas

July 04, 2009, 08:40:28 AM #3 Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:47:24 AM by Kansas
The guy was 90 years old! IMO they should issue a one year drivers license for anybody 80 or over that must be renewed annually and include a written, vision, and drivring test.  The test should cost $100.00 to offset costs and to encourage oldsters to not renew.  My Father in Law has molecular degeneration, (sp?), and is going blind and he still drives.  My late Dad drove until his death at age 93, and had no business behind the wheel of his 28 year old Chrysler that was unsafe in and of itself.  I got stuck behind a gray head this morning that was going 30 mph in a 40 zone with a steady line of vehicles trying to get around her.  She was a hazard.  These people need to be off the road if they are a danger to themselves and everybody around them.  Don't get me started on cell phone drivers either.

WideBoy04

I can almost bet the penalty won't fit the crime. Probably be treated as a moving
violation. Wonder how it would be handled if the victim was a motor cop?

Jim
Galatians 2:20

tireater

I'm with Kansas...1 yr lic. will save some lives...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

MMOCGuy

Quote from: Kansas on July 04, 2009, 08:40:28 AM
The guy was 90 years old! IMO they should issue a one year drivers license for anybody 80 or over that must be renewed annually and include a written, vision, and drivring test.  The test should cost $100.00 to offset costs and to encourage oldsters to not renew.  My Father in Law has molecular degeneration, (sp?), and is going blind and he still drives.  My late Dad drove until his death at age 93, and had no business behind the wheel of his 28 year old Chrysler that was unsafe in and of itself.  I got stuck behind a gray head this morning that was going 30 mph in a 40 zone with a steady line of vehicles trying to get around her.  She was a hazard.  These people need to be off the road if they are a danger to themselves and everybody around them.  Don't get me started on cell phone drivers either.

What about the twenty-something year old girl recently in the mid-west who was polishing her nails while driving and rear ended and killed a  motorcyclist who was stopped at a stop sign. should everyone over the age of 20 be required to test yearly? Then maybe we should include every age group who commits a senseless acts of stupidity. I'm sorry but I can't agree with testing based on age only. There are many provisions in the law that allow the law enforcement community and the DMVs to take action against incompetent drivers. The problem is that thay don't.

Then I have to ask the question, if someone's dad was driving at 93 and shouldn't have been behind the wheel, why didn't that person do something about it instead of letting his dad continue to drive? If his dad had killed someone, shouldn't the son then also be responsible?

It is easy to attack a group who can't defend itself but remember, discrimination is discrimination!

Don't be so quick to judge the legal system in this case. Fatal accident investigations can take a long time and manslaughter charges can still be brought against the driver who made the illegal turn if it can be proven to a jury that he was at fault. I understand that there is anger an frustration a work here gbut don't lash out at an entire group becaus of one person's inattention.
Norm

MMOCGuy

Sorry for some of the typos in my previous post. The "Reply" page was acting up and made it difficult for me to re-read the lower portion of the post.

NormS.

tireater

Checking seniors out after they crash out is too late...
I was rear ended by a senior with alzheimers who should of not had a lic. ...
So they took her lic. - after she ruined my back...

rustyflstc

I don't get the "no charges filed yet". Seems to me right off the bat  would be driving to endanger death resulting. I am for testing any driver yearly after 78 years young. Everyone is different but when the reflex's and judgements go they seem to go quickly. Took my dad's license away and he was, let's say not in agreement but it was best for everyone.

05FLHTC

Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

verson22

There ain't that many 90 year olds on the street vs. 20 year old so testing wouldn't be a huge undertaking. Also as a group 90 year old skills are deteriorating while hopefully 20 yr olds are improving( as a group) it's apples and oranges.

FLTRI05

Terrible news.. I feel for the rider and his family... :sad:
2005 Road Glide FLTRI
2004 Heritage Softail FLSTCI

GaryD

I remember watching a 20/20 episode a few years back about older drivers in Forida. It was very frieghtening. At the end of the program, the governor said that they would NOT revoke any of the old peoples drivers license's because that is the only way they can get around. After that show I vowed never to go to Floida.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

PosseRider

Those tires in your pic.(tire eater) look real safe also. So when it blows & cause's an accident ,they should take away everyone's license with bad tires ???  I have more 20 yr olds cause me problems (especially girls) than older drivers.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

tireater

It did blow at 70 and I didn't crash...I think once again you are talking apples and oranges...

Jim Bronson

As long as anyone has a set of car keys, they will drive if they need or want to, and no law or testing requirement will change that. With all the drunks, druggies, illegals, texting teenagers, phone-using yuppies, soccer moms, etc. on the road, elderly drivers are the least of my worries.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

fxstbob

The drivers age didn't cause this accident, if you can call it an accident. He was doing an illegal u-turn, which is breaking the law and resulted in someones death. I'm sure he did the u-turn intentionally. I would call that wreckless manslaughter.

PoorUB

Quote from: rustyflstc on July 04, 2009, 10:54:55 AM
I don't get the "no charges filed yet".

Depending how the judicial system works in the area, charges may have to come from a city or county prosecutors office. There will be an investigation, and then charges, if anywill be filled. Just not as simple as the cop writing a ticket.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Big_Bulky_RK

I feel for all the families involved.
It was a sad day when we told Dad he could no longer drive. Long story.  I might as well have kicked him in the nuts.
Responsibility starts at home not just with your kids, but with your parents as well. I dread the day my kids tell me I can no longer drive.  Family members can request that a license not be renewed through the DMV in Michigan.  If you feel that an elderly family member should not be driving it is your duty not the states to take action.

:sad:
Michigan,    Pot Hole Capital of the US

Skullfork

I was talking to a trooper friend of mine earlier this evening who didn't work the accident, but told me the old guy apparently missed his exit at the I-70 and I-77 interchange, and was in the right lane of I-70, the right lane, and decided to suddenly hit the brakes and turn left to go into the median emergency turn around to do the u-turn back to the interchange, and turned right into the path of the couple who were in the passing lane.  When I went by they were still trying to get the car off of them.  I truly feel bad for that family ...all because of one single act of stupidy!

The OSHP are very thorough in their investigations and want to make sure all i's are dotted and t's are crossed before any charges are filed and presented to prosecuter's office. From that point on, who know's what'll happen?

I definitely agree about something needing to be done with the elderly drivers, and the year by year testing would be a good idea. I can honestly say that most of my close calls have been with the elderly who just seem to be in their own world without regard of what's going on around them.

On the other hand, I also think kids getting their license at 16 is just way too early also ...

Princess Butt

My sympathies for the grieving families.

When you're riding down the road and you see something about to happen and you say "There's no way someone is stupid enough to do that?"

Guess what? Yes, they're that stupid.

Add me to the group who's more scared of 20 year olds than of seniors. Seniors were brought up in an era of when you drove a car, you drove a car. You didn't do a bunch of other crap at the same time. The kids today learned from the fine example of their parents, and that, my friends, is getting scary.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

skeets

No matter how you look at it, it is a tragedy. To old to drive or being in the wrong place at the wrong time, who can say. I lost a friend several years ago to an elderly gentel man that pulled out to pass a car on a 2 lane road on a blind bend the car was making a turn in to a side road. The old man pulled out to pass and hit my friend head on, he was never charged with anything,,,, The old guy,, he was in a hurry to walk with his friends at the mall... No matter it is a sad state for all involved, my prayers go out to the families.
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

GaryD

I wish they would replay that 20/20 episode over and over every year. I bet every state is the same as Florida when it comes to taking the elderly's license away.
I'm like you other posters.....I don't know what I'll do when I will have to give up riding and then driving.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

dablaze

They need to add some questions about motorcycles to the Driving tests. Its usually the last that anyone ever pays strict attention to the rules of the road. The last chance to make anyone aware...and people talk about what kind of questions are asked on the tests.

Also, think about if you ever rent a car abroad...all you ever have  to show is a drivers license. People from countries where motorcycles have no right of way (a lot of the Caribbean etc) people come up and can rent a car, thinking that they do not have to offer any ground to a motorcyclist ever! Happened to me, in their country I would have been required to drive off the road to allow them access to my lane!

There's gotta be a rule that if your countries laws differ hugely to ours, your license will not be recognized here.

I know I am Canadian, but our laws and the US rarely differ much.

Sad for that rider and his wife.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle