May 02, 2024, 11:03:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

seal question

Started by Old Crow, November 15, 2008, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

bike:'82 FLT  rubber mount 5 sp shovel with enclosed final drive.
I'm redoing everything on the bike, basically.  In assembly of the primary, I'm replacing the seal where the starter shaft goes through the inner primary.
My question is, which way does the seal face?  Lip in towards primary or lip out towards starter? 
I'm running the stock primary oiling and according to the manual the primary is supposed to hold a vacuum. 
Seems to me the lip ought to face the starter to hold the vacuum in the primary, but(and here, maybe I'm thinking too much)that just seems backwards as I start to install the seal.
The FSM and Parts book are no help, and the pics are lousy.
Oh, and being an old fart who took this apart *last* November, I don't remember the way the old one was in<g>. :beer:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

biker3r

I may be wrong, buts it seems to me the lip should be towards the primary. my .02

76shuvlinoff

biker3r

Dale?  If so, loooong time bud.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

biker3r

Hey Mark.  yep its me, It has been awhile, always had a hard time logging on to MSN. finally said the hell with it. like this HTT much better,,,,,,,,,Dale

76shuvlinoff

Dale,
I don't want to HI-Jack old Crows thread (which I can't really answer anyhow) but it's good to see you on.

Now for some reason the site is slower than all hell tonight, I hear it's that way all over so I'm gonna bail out.

Later
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

ya fug dale sup..well i ain gots no answer neither ..my 80 flt i had apart once but i cant rememeber nuf ta say..dint put in seal n cant say how it were..hey wheres the rubbar glide runners rounds here

Lew

Yep....lip in....closed end out towards the starter.
Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Old Crow

Quote from: lewy1313 on November 16, 2008, 01:45:05 PM
Yep....lip in....closed end out towards the starter.
Lew 

See, that's what I keep thinking.  But then I get to the whole "must hold a vacuum" thing, and then I start thinking it should be the other way. 
With the lip in, that'd keep oil in, but let air pass into the primary, with the lip out, it'd hold air from entering the primary.

How'd they do it on the early FXR's?  I know they didn't have the enclosed drive chain, but the primary oil circulation should be the same<shrug>?

I guess I shoulda taken a pic.  Funny, I got some pics of some stuff as I took her apart and didn't need a one of the ones I took but the one thing I didn't get a pic of, I can't remember. 
Sucks gettin' old. :bf:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Lew

November 16, 2008, 06:26:55 PM #8 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:31:40 PM by lewy1313
Don't think there would be a difference in sealing ability as far as a vacume is concerned.  The main reason to have the sealing lip inside is to lubricate the seal so it doesn't burn up.  Also the tension spring on the seal lip needs to be inside to keep it from rusting and coming apart.
Lew   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

biker3r

I ditto what Lew says, I just dont see the seal being turned the other way i would think it would seep towards the starter

Dennman

I'm with the spring ta the inside.If in doubt why not see if a double lip seal can be had.
Don't let the bastards get you down!