May 09, 2024, 12:15:28 PM

News:

Kicker Seal Leak

Started by hdfx78, July 07, 2009, 04:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdfx78

Just got this 78 XLCH back together. Motor was completed by previous owner. One oil leak so far after running about a half hour. It is coming from behind the primary case area not the seam of the case. Appears to be the kicker seal but is there anything I might be missing looking up from the rear mount that I should check out? Seems to be a fair amount leaking while sitting upright on a lift. I would think the transmission level would be below the shaft without the pressure of the gears spinning.
Still need to time, Check charging system and adjust carb to try to get this running right. I have a HD Service Manual but welcome all recommendations on dialing in.
Thanks Mark HDFX78

saltcaveminer

start by checking the primary oil level.hi is not better. oil hoses to the oil bag should also be checked.Salty

hdfx78

OK, this is better. Not the kicker seal anyway. I converted to electric start and seems the problem is the transmission vent leaking between the battery box mount and the engine case. Looked around for info on a seal or gasket for that location but saw nothing. I put some Teflon tape on the threads and a rubber O ring on the bolt and wound it back in. See if that does the trick. Mark HDXF78