April 28, 2024, 10:52:48 AM

News:

"Obsolete" part location?

Started by 97dyna, July 07, 2009, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97dyna

Went to my dealer to find one of the final chrome accessories for my 1997 dyna lowrider.  He looked it up - "Nope, we don't have it - it's obsolete."  I knew this would happen someday.  Seemed like - "Nah, screw you..see ya ...bye."  I gotta think this part might be on a dealer's shelf somewhere.  How can I search?   

FSG

Posting the Part Number here would be a start

crazylore

The dealers in my area can search other dealers through their computers......when I needed a red coded pinion gear they located 2 within 300 miles and had one shipped to the local dealer....of course I paid 10% more for the part
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

elvislee

July 07, 2009, 06:55:49 PM #3 Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:53:52 PM by elvislee
Quote from: 97dyna on July 07, 2009, 06:35:13 PM
Went to my dealer to find one of the final chrome accessories for my 1997 dyna lowrider.  He looked it up - "Nope, we don't have it - it's obsolete."  I knew this would happen someday.  Seemed like - "Nah, screw you..see ya ...bye."  I gotta think this part might be on a dealer's shelf somewhere.  How can I search?    

Yep...Same problem here with my Fxr4 already  :gob:

So, did yo ask him to do a cross country dealer search on his computer? Did he offer if you didn't? If no on both questions; call him or go back and ask him to get off his ass and do it. I have had obsolete parts show up on a number of occasions and the dealer can search obsolete parts but still as in stock at other dealers (flat lens covers and turn signals off the top of my head) which if in stock at another dealer, he can order it for you....just because they are obsolete does not always mean there aren't any still on the shelves at other dealer's:up:

eglideic

I'm always having my dealer check the computer to see which other dealers might have the item on their shelf.
But not all dealers are on the network or the same network and I know of at least one nearby that doesn't have a computer system at all.
Also here's a secret. They updated their data base a while back and dropped a lot of obolete part numbers so your search will come up empty.
Yet I know one or two dealers that can still access the old data base and find old parts that were dropped from the updated search data base.
Of course anoother useful tool is your yearly HOG Travel Atlas with the names and phone numbers of every dealer.
Good Luck.

FSG

Most dealers are able to access the old database (Harley-Davidson Obsolete Price Book) which lists P/N, Description, Date Obsoleted and last MRRP,

eg:  29308-93    EVOLUTION 1340 BREATHER KIT     05/05     39.95

96dynabagger

As the owner of a bike that's so old the dealer doesn't want to see it (Its a '96, for Pete's sake!)
I've found that I've had to find equivalent parts from the automotive sector.  There's a lot of stuff
that works just fine and frankly costs a lot less when it doesn't have HD stamped on it.  Frankly, the
last genuine HD part I got was wrapped in Chinese newspaper, from a sealed box!  No joke.

For instance, the oil filter is the same thread and o-ring diameter as a Ford filter.  You just have to
dig and find the matching bypass pressure rating.  No problem.  BUT, this also means that oil cooler adapters
for the same Ford will fit.  Any cooler that has the same hose size will fit.  I put together a thermostatic
oil cooler installation for $50.  The same goes for electrical parts.  One of the best things I found here is
that the starter shaft clutch (whatever) is the same as the one on many small trucks, and a fraction of the
cost when purchased as such, and not a motorcycle part.

I suppose if you're restoring a bike and need NOS parts, its a pain, but parts being obsoleted really isn't
a big problem.

JohnS_Rosamond

Believe it or not, another source for "obsolete" parts is V-Twin manufacturing.  They buy Harley stuff from the OEM.  You get something from V-Twin and might be surprised to see what you bought is a Harley part in a OEM Harley box.  They stock a wide range of parts.  I - like the others - have called Harley dealerships looking to see if they have stuff sitting on their shelves, even though the part is no longer available to order.  My 1988 bike, I wanted the chrome headlight nacelle for the FLHS - they didn't offer it by the time I was looking for it.  Mine was grey plastic.  Called around and actually found one.  When I converted a freind's 1994 bike to an FLHS (from FLHT), I was able to find that chrome nacelle for that year too (this was also well after the part was no longer available).  So don't give up!

Old Crow

I've been looking at those nacelles to convert my FLT Tour Glide to the Road King look on ebay.  Son-of-a-guns are going for between $150 and $300, and those $150 ones look like sheet. 
Sure would like to take the fairing off my bike, but can't swing that just for a freakin' headlight.
As far as windshield brackets for the above conversion...yeah, right.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

ramcr913

You guys should quit living in the past and upgrade to something newer and more modern.
Wait, if I did that I would have to sell a Evo and a shovelhead.
Nevermind.

97dyna

Sorry I got away from this post.  Part number 50287-01 Chrome passenger footpeg support.  D_ :potstir:__ chrome.  I have a gift certificate to burn - last piece :wink:!  We've all heard that before :embarrassed:.  Checked V Twin, JP Cycles any other suggestions?

PaJoe

BikerBob has it listed, but that doesn't mean they have it...

http://bikerbobsstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=27316

Previous
Return to the Product List
Next
50287-01
$111.95
Sale: $89.56
Save: $22.39 off
KIT, DYNA PASSENGER FOOTPEG MO

Add to Cart:

* Model: 50287-01::HD
    * Manufactured by: Harley-Davidson

FSG

July 10, 2009, 05:33:25 PM #12 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:09:46 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Now that we know what were looking for lets see what we can find. 

50287-01 KIT, DYNA PASSENGER FOOTPEG MOUNT  Obsoleted 05/06  MRRP  111.95

Instructions for J02264 DYNA PASSENGER CHROME FOOTPEG SUPPORT KIT are in the appropriate HTT Section

97dyna

Aaaaaah sh_ :crook:_ - Checked Bikerbob - nada  :emsad:- Austin, San Antonio , Dallas.  Is this turning into the  :sink:?