April 27, 2024, 12:18:16 PM

News:

CV Carb on a 45", good or bad idea?

Started by shovelheadjr, July 07, 2009, 07:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelheadjr

One of the body men at the car dealership I work at has a 45" WLA that has been chopped. He has been having problems with the Linkert being worn out and needing a new body.

We were talking about carburetor choices, he brought up Mikuni's. I asked why not a CV? Late model with a accelerator pump, probably from a Sportster IMO. So, has anyone tried one of these out? My '82 Shovelhead has one, I installed it about six years ago, it was light years ahead of the butterfly Keihin originally on it.

Adapting it to the manifold is no big deal, I think Drag Specialties  still has the flange adapter. The only other issues will be to change the throttle to a push/pull with the correct cables, make up a enrichener cable bracket, and to make a couple of brackets to attach the air cleaner bracket (also from Drag) to the engine.

I would probably start with a 42 low speed jet, and about a 160 main jet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PC_Hater

Do a proper google search, it can be done and has been done.
I think there was a posting on old HTT that covered it. I am fairly certain I downloaded it so I'll check on my computer at home. One day I will finish that top-end rebuild on my 45 and it will include a nice CV carb!

The advice on here for fitting CVs to knuckleheads about adjusting the accelerator pump etc will come in handy for the moment I expect.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

shovelheadjr

PC_Hater,
If you find the thread and post a link, it will be greatly appreciated. I pretty much have it figured out what to do, but there will be some differences that I
will encounter as I have never worked on a 45", Ironheads, Knuckles,Pans,Shovels and T/C's only.
Thank you

4DWUDS

I put one on my WL and have NO problems with how it works. Pretty much a bolt on with the right parts, Jetting is a little leaner than a Sporty but you can start there. I think I went with a 40/170. Even used the stock air filter without the football cover. This was in the early stage before the choke cable and gas line was repositioned
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

PC_Hater

4DWUDS, I knew someone had done it!
I searched my hard drive for info but didnt find anything about CVs on 45s. I will have a go at searching the old backups.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Ultrashovel

It would be an ideal carburetor. A little jetting work and it should dial right in.