April 28, 2024, 04:48:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cold Cranking compresion

Started by surf, November 15, 2008, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surf

Would like to know what the stock psi numbers were on the evo.
I'm getting 90 on the first crank and 125 by the 5th.

Trip

you wanna see 165-180 on an Evo...

surf

Is that before or after modifications?

Trip

Ya gotta define "modifications...with a stock cam, stock headgasket and stock cylinder bore...you should see @160-180 psi.....i think the book even accepts 150psi as OK for an Evo..

surf

Sound like I may have a tired engine here. By modifications I meant any internal engine work
ex. cams, pistons or headwork. I think I have an entirely stock engine here, find out more when I remove the cam cover. Do'nt know the actual miles. Wanted to check compresion before I got to far into it. Saw your pictures of the lifters on the other thread and looked in at mine and looks like I have the A lifters  Was hoping to hear numbers closer to what I had. Getting ready to move this bike inside for the winter and play around with it a little.
Thanks for the reply.

Trip

choseneasy

If your reading goes up to 125 psi  you are doing good(as long as both cylinders are within 10%) of each other. If you are getting down to 90 after several compression strokes she is getting weak but may still run okay too. If she still has power I wouldn't tear her down. A stocker will run a looooong time if it hasn't been abused too bad.

surf

I'm getting 125 front and 130 rear. Service manual says anything over 90 is still good. May just leave it alone but I'll have to stop reading these tech sites.<G> Get too many ideas.

choseneasy

your motor is good--- but if you wanted more  get the heads planed, throw a cam, jet the carb and you will really wake her up. Lots of help on this site and easy to do yourself if you wanted.

surf

With the help of this site and harleyhogs I did a big bore and cams to my twin cam. No doubt we can do much of the same to this evo. Little hesitant to spend money on it right now, although it sounds like I should at least get those lifters and more than likely the original cam bearing out of there, not knowing the entire history and mileage on it.

Buddy WMC

surf,
I did the Revolution Performance 85" bolt on kit at 10.5 to 1 compression with ported SE heads and plenty of other goodies. Cranking compression also depends upon your cam profile. In my case with the currently installed V-Thunder 5015NG cam, my cranking compression should be at 160#-165# and that's where it's at after 1000 miles. My 1.4 starter turns this engine over quickly and she fires right up. No detonation on 93 octane fuel and no need for compression releases.

92Fatty

Surf, my 92 is all stock and mine reads 125-130 front and rear. just under 40 thousand miles.

Kevin

Quote from: surf on November 15, 2008, 02:08:36 PM
Would like to know what the stock psi numbers were on the evo.
I'm getting 90 on the first crank and 125 by the 5th.

Surf, Just checking to see if you're checking the CCP with the throttle wide open.

107" by Hyperformance
R&R St. 5 heads
R&R 615's & cam plate R&R roller rocker

surf

Throttle wide open and cv piston lifted up for good measure. I'm thinking 125-130 is
normal/average for a stock evo. Thanks to all who replyed