May 02, 2024, 03:20:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Twin Cam 95 incher vs. S&S or ultima 113 or 120

Started by Reddog74usa, November 15, 2008, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

I'm just kickin around what engine would be a better choice. A TC 95 or a S&S or Ultima 113 or 120 engine. The Twinkies have the pressed crank shaft issues that can twist and can happen by just lockin up the rear wheel where as the Evo style engines from S&S or ultima seem to have addressed the weaknesses of the evo's and hold up very well. Are they TC's and aftermarket evos about even or is the Tc still better with the oiling system?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

Those are pressed togather cranks, with Evo shafts.(Ultima.)
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PoorUB

Quote from: Reddog74usa on November 15, 2008, 03:40:51 PM
I'm just kickin around what engine would be a better choice. A TC 95 or a S&S or Ultima 113 or 120 engine. The Twinkies have the pressed crank shaft issues that can twist and can happen by just lockin up the rear wheel where as the Evo style engines from S&S or ultima seem to have addressed the weaknesses of the evo's and hold up very well. Are they TC's and aftermarket evos about even or is the Tc still better with the oiling system?

If the big concern is the crank, why not just get the crank welded?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Reddog74usa

November 16, 2008, 12:40:12 PM #3 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:18:48 PM by Reddog74usa
The crank is not the only concern and I'm not anti TC at all, just tryin to get an idea of which configuration is the better one. In stock form there both very good with both of them having there weekneses, evo with the cases and inner cam bearing, and the TC with the crank, tensioners and cam bearings on the earlier models. The question is with the improvements of the S&S and Ultima evo style engines is the TC configuration better, worse or the same. Sure you can weld the crank on a TC but who wants to do all that when you can get a great deal on an evo powered bike and not have to do all that to get where you want to be. I have nothing against either engine, just lookin for facts on which is better to hop up and still be reliable
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Reddog74usa

Guess I'll be kickin it around for a while LOL!!!!!!
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hillside Motorcycle

Was unaware of the 113" cranks.
Only ones we have ever worked on, were the 120". Only assumed, and you know what happens then.......
We welded the cranks on the 120's.
Last one we did with a bored G, t/jet, Crane HI-4, our headwork, and a Woods 9B, Rhineharts, rolled out 127/144.
Client is now going to a Fatcat, with a race baffle.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Admiral Akbar

I think that us either motor is fine.. The only thing I like better about the TC is the mounting to the tranny is more solid than an evo when in a rubber mount. As far as oiling system goes,, if there is enough oil to keep the motor from wearing out, lifters pumped up, who cares what type it is?  Max

Reddog74usa

Scot there some nice numbers especialy with the exhaust he's runin.Any idea on what you could get out of a 113?  Bruce I agree on the engine trans conection on the TC I guess there both good with the Evo's being the les expensive way to go.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT