May 04, 2024, 10:32:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Painting pipes!

Started by HDSlicer1, November 15, 2008, 05:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDSlicer1

hey all, my question is what are the steps to painting chrome pipes black. would i have to sandblast then pint or etc? has anyone done this just wondering cause they want a fortune for new ones! the ones i want to redo black are bassanni pro streets on my nightrain. any info or pictures would be great, thanks again Tom. :pop: :beer:

GLIDERIDER-06

I painted my Road King's exhaust. I used a D/A sander with 120 grit paper, sanded them really good. Use Dupli-color 5000 degree ceramic paint ( it has a gold can) and follow the directions closely. Do not use the 1200 degree paint(in the black can, for it will burn off). I have my exhaust done for a few thousand miles now with no problems.   GR-06

04glide

November 15, 2008, 05:51:21 PM #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:53:03 PM by 04glide
I have used the 1200* BBQ paint and it lasts for about 10,000 miles and then turns to a grey color. I am at that point now. I think I will try GLIDERIDER-06s method. I hand sanded mine real good and the paint has stuck well with no bubbles or flakes. BTW I am running a RBR LSR pipe with no heat shields.

roadglide65

You might try these guys there prices are not that bad for what you get.

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

camel

I have used 1200 degree black paint on my pipes, but the trick is to let it dry for 3 or more days. If not the paint will burn off or peel.

Fxstchewy

I have a ?, i have a set of Bassani pro streets that i would like to get painted black but they are Stainless Steel so how would you go about doing the prep on them? would the 5000deg paint even work on these? Thanks for any info.  :pop: Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

GLIDERIDER-06

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT STAINLESS STEEL. I WOULD THINK THAT IF IT WAS PREPPED RIGHT IT WOULD STICK TO IT LIKE STANDARD METAL. THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS GIVE IT A TRY, AND IF IT DOESN'T WORK THEN HAVE THEM COATED THROUGH HPC OR JET COAT.  GOOD LUCK!  GR-06

gOOseman

Quote from: Fxstchewy on November 16, 2008, 04:58:26 AM
I have a ?, i have a set of Bassani pro streets that i would like to get painted black but they are Stainless Steel so how would you go about doing the prep on them? would the 5000deg paint even work on these? Thanks for any info.  :pop: Chewy
I had a SS set of custom pipes coated by HPC and they turned out OK (thought the coating was a little thin). Also had a chrome set sandblasted for $15 and then rattle canned with VHT silica coating and they turned out nice. Pics of pipes after sandblasting (easier than sanding and it gives a excellent base for the coating to adhere to) and after the application of the coating.

gOOseman
gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

fuzznut5197

Quote from: GLIDERIDER-06 on November 15, 2008, 05:34:09 PM
I painted my Road King's exhaust. I used a D/A sander with 120 grit paper, sanded them really good. Use Dupli-color 5000 degree ceramic paint ( it has a gold can) and follow the directions closely. Do not use the 1200 degree paint(in the black can, for it will burn off). I have my exhaust done for a few thousand miles now with no problems.   GR-06

5,000 degrees? From what I see, they only make 500 degree engine block paint and 1,200 degree hi heat paint.

petsur

I just sanded the chrome to rough it up and went to Auto Zone I think and bought a can of plain old flat black header paint.  Still looks great 5 years later.

Pete

HDSlicer1

thanks guys for your help, i went to autozone today and got the flat black vht paint that withstands temps up to 2000 degrees, gonna sand them down tommorrow and paint. Just wondering if i have to use a high temp primer first or just paint? Thanks again Tom. :beer: