May 03, 2024, 10:39:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

best dirt road tires

Started by sam2007, November 15, 2008, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam2007

I ride a 2005 EG Classic and have been fortunate enough to criss-cross much of our nation with my wife in tow. I recognize that mine is not an off road platform, that being said, we never hesitate to take an interesting turn even if the surface is something less than pavement. What can I do to decrease the likelihood of a flat tire or other debilitating damage should we choose to take a dirt road? Thanks in advance. 

Admiral Akbar

The chances of you flattening a tire on a dirt road are about as good as being hit by lightning. Unless of course the are nails in the road or you like to run less than 12 psi.. Max

Beave

Before our last Alaska trip I searched for tires for the RK with a more open and deeper tread design to handle the rain and gravel I expected to find.  I ended up back with the original 402's and they actually worked very well.  We rode the Denali Highway (100 miles of gravel) and 10,000 total miles without incident,  other than wearing out the rear before we got home.  You really don't want to replace a tire in Canada if you can avoid it. A 402 cost me exactly double what I pay at home.  The best defense against flats is a good tubeless tire, a plug kit and a 12V compressor.
With speed comes stability.