April 28, 2024, 02:34:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Nice ride and blown shocks

Started by 76shuvlinoff, July 12, 2009, 01:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

After all these years I put the shovel back to two up duty and I think the b*tch is jealous.

Took the wife out for a 50 mile loop yesterday, been 12 years since I drove for 2 but had a great ride. Toward the end I noticed the rear end was bobbin like a cork. I figured I just better stiffen the shocks up another click.
  Made the adjustment today and went out alone for a 10 mile loop turned back in the drive and no rear brakes.  Right pipe smoking like hell, swingarm and brakes dripping. Thought I had blown a braided Russell line but that just don't happen. Found the oil was coming from the right shock. Checked the left and ... yep blown out too. Sunuvadog!  12" Progressives  tag on the shock says 412-4044.  Figure those are 412s? Got about 20K miles on em.
 Can I get these fixed?  Should I?  The wife and myself plus and some putt junk in bags will just top 350 lbs.  For now I threw the oem fully covered 12s back on, kinda dinged and ratty but rollin'.  

You should'a seen this dance..

No honey it's not your fault those were totally worn out junk anyhow.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

id whine n send em back..well 20 k its yer call..i had a new set pop top on one n befoe i could git back home she blew the udda... i called n whinned n sent em in ..i pd shippin ..fixed ones er new ones ain had no issue since..wernet stiff nuff on spring be my guess

76shuvlinoff

I sent Progressive a note, if I don't hear back from them I'll call next week.  Not really trying to get a warranty claim but it would be good to see them do something. The actual mileage will be  between 17K and 20K but I don't think I even have the paperwork for the shocks anymore. Stiffer springs might be the ticket and probably cheaper than new shocks.   Maybe I'll even spring for full covers if I can get em.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rkrcpa

Hey Mark,

Funny you should mention this, I had the same thing happen to me on my way home from the Smokies last year. I was headed east on I-40 coming down out of the mountains (a fun section of winding descent on a highway btw) and all of a sudden the bike got a little squirrelly. By the time I got home (500 miles) both shocks were completely shot. Right before my trip I had added stiffer springs since it seemed a little soft riding 2 up. My total weight is probably 400 lbs (I won't give the split) rider and passenger. Progressive is on my short list of calls to make. I had gone back and forth with them by email about the subject but the only thing I got out of it was they want me to buy 440's instead of 412's since they have a heavy duty version of a 440.

If I find out anything more I'll let you know.

Rodney

76shuvlinoff

The response from Progressive is the correct part number for my 76 FLH is 412-4013c and they recommend I purchase those.

I have some figuring to do.
 - Ernest Hemingway