Can you remove a bagger oil pan while in-frame?

Started by still_on2_wheels, November 16, 2008, 05:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

still_on2_wheels

Bike in question is a 2001 RK. With a little bit of jocking around, is is possible to remove the oil pan, clean out and re-install without a complete motor-tranny removal?

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

Ed Y

Yes. Remove the rear wheel and it's easy.

If you don't have a HD service manual, it's well worth the $$ to get one.

smoserx1

bouncingVman

Is there a specific reason why you want to do this ?? Just wondering.

In addition to removing the rear wheel and getting a service manual for reference... there is a spring loaded plastic serpentine baffle in bottom of the oil pan that turned out to be a PITA to get in place again for me. That was my experience. I have a 1999 FLHRCI.

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Dennis The Menace

Yes, it can be done.  There is a post from Rogue here on a Baker pan install...Looks like work, but less than pulling the motor and tranny out of the frame....

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=233.0
http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageViewer.asp?PageID=2246

Ed Y

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 16, 2008, 06:07:10 AM
Hey Ed, Glad to see you here!

Steve Moser

Hey Steve,

Been a member for years, just don't post too much, although with the new format, that may change. Hated MSN groups software.

Ed

PoorUB

Quote from: still_on2_wheels on November 16, 2008, 05:27:49 AM
Bike in question is a 2001 RK. With a little bit of jocking around, is is possible to remove the oil pan, clean out and re-install without a complete motor-tranny removal?

Jeff

It is a pain, but I did it last winter. In my case I hav an overhead hoist in my shop so I hung my Ultra from the rear shock mounts and used the hoist to lift the bike as needed. I set the front wheel into a home made wheel chock that was mounted to a couple 2x4's to help keep the bike upright. Yup, you need to remove  the rear wheel. Having a ATV jack under the bike is a pain.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

waskier01

I did one three months ago.  I already had the cylinders off, so I just disconnected the tranny from the motor and jacked it around until I got the pan out.

bouncingVman

I forgot to mention earlier... the reason I had more problems than usual was the cross member in the frame got bent up limiting the space to manuver the oil pan out. (who knows how that happened) -Todd
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

surf

I did the same as PoorUB and hung the bike from above and pulled the jack out of the way.
Needed all the room I could get.