April 27, 2024, 08:50:14 AM

News:

Buell Ulysses XB12X info please

Started by smokey3644, July 13, 2009, 05:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey3644

I'm thinking of parking my Road King for a while and getting a XT, any experiences, pro's or con's appreciated.  I'm looking at the bike for touring and maybe some back road riding, I know the X is the duel sport but I think the XT would probably work also.  Comments please.
One never knows, does one. (Fats Waller)

4DWUDS

July 13, 2009, 06:58:44 PM #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:04:02 PM by 4DWUDS
The X is more off road oriented than the XT, but neither are what you would call a dirt bike. The X has a little more ground clearance and stronger wheels, after that there about even, Same frame, same motor,  Both will handle the twistys with the best of them The XT is more of a road bike that comes with bags and a taller windshield. if ya want to know more about the "Big, Bad and Dirty" look over on the forum at www.badweatherbikers.com
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

smokey3644

Thanks for the reply, the Buell area here seems kind of slow, think I'll take my question to the Buell site you mentioned.

panhead_dan

In my opinion, an XT is an X that will do less. That is to say, it's not as versatile.

If an X is too tall for you, it still might make a good alternative. If the seat heighth is not an issue, just get an X.

I love mine!

blk-betty

Thinking of one myself.  Looks like in 08 they made some improvements on them - standard heated grips, 44 mm forks, heavier duty rims.

How much difference is there between the 07-earlier and the 08-later?  Looks like a like of 06 and 07 used but haven't seen any 08s or 09s.  Would rather have the heavier duy setup but just wondering if there is any significant improvements with the upgraded model.  If I remeber correctly, the 08-09 XTs have the same setup as the earlier Xs with narrower forks, and lighter rims.....setup more for on-road vs off.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

4DWUDS

06 & 07 had a reprogrammable ECM via ECMSPY. 08 & 09 not as of yet. 08 up has larger crank pin, higher rev limit, improved oiling system, X model only has tighter turn radius, some say the 08 & 09 get worse fuel mileage and run hotter. Best source of info is www.badweatherbikers.com   
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

panhead_dan

My ,06 X is as tough as a hammer. I ride it every day, year round and I don't pamper it.

smokey3644

Thanks for the badweatherbiker link, great site and lots of good info from people that ride their bikes hard.  I'm waiting for the local dealers to get their 2010 XT's, they both say Nov. WTF, I know that people are riding right now, I guess Montana is at the end of the line for new bikes.

FXRocket

Check out the beasts section over at www.advrider.com They have a big following at that site.

smokey3644

I don't know if anyone is reading posts here anymore but end of the story.  I got a 2009 XT just before Xmas and because of the weather here haven't ridden it but got a very good deal on the bike.  The local dealer got 1 2010 XT and offered it to me first but they wanted a premium price for it and I let it go.  A guy in Minnesota came over and bought it. 

panhead_dan

It seems like the 2010's are hard to get for some reason.

Now that you have joined the dark side and seeing as you live in Montana, you may be interested in a combined event scheduled for this spring in Darby. Details are on the Adventure Rider website under "Westfest". It looks to me like a hell of a party with mucho riding, bonfire, beer, food, music etc.

Happy trails to you!

panhead_dan

smokey3644

Thanks for the info about the West Fest, I've heard of it.  I think it's the same weekend as the Red Lodge Rally, a few of us from Lewistown go down there every year to ride around in the Park and the Beartooths.  The WF thing might be a good change of pace, I'll pencil it on the calendar.

88b

How you likeing the XT Smokey ? I got a custome painted 08 in Nov 09 brand new after they dropped the price about 40%. Had some problems with it, battery died after it sat in the show room for 18 months and a bad earth. Got it all fixed now and got it run in over the week end. Snow again here, but I need to do the 1000 mile service. only ridden my Harley twice since I got the Buell  :embarrassed:

smokey3644

I've only been able to ride a few times, very crappy weather, either below 0 or icy, but I've ridden enough to make a couple of changes, Rox risers and a new adjustable windshield.  When the weather breaks I'll get some miles on and see if I've got the ride position and wind situation corrected.  I really like the bike and my RK isn't happy about it.

88b

are you getting the Palmer screen brackets ? he's only about 20 miles from me, always has stuff on e bay here.

smokey3644

I went with Madstad robo brackets.  I contacted the company and they made me a deal to try out the brackets and a new windshield design so I went for it.  I haven't got the shield yet so when I get it and some riding weather I'll report.  Since Palmer is right down the road have you tried their forward peg set up for the Uly?  I don't know exactly what the exchange rate and shipping would come to but they look kind of spendy even without the pegs. 

88b

I don't think the Palmer highway pegs fit the 08's I have some pictures of them and thought about making my own. They do look a bit  :embarrassed: Exchange rate is about $1:55 to a UK £, anything here is expensive for you, I could mail you some $9 a gallon gas  :cry:

smokey3644

The pegs do look like they might be easy to build, maybe I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the gas offer but I think I'll pass. :teeth:

mark61

I want 1 of these too!  Roadking is nice but all those side roads heading into gravel are calling me more and more! Don't see them for sale used much yet so people must be more or less happy with them.

mark61

miwhite

I'm giving my 2000 ElectraGlide a little break. I am getting my 2010 XT delivered today. The forecast for the weekend is sunny with a high of 10°C. I'm a happy camper, fore sure! A middle-aged kid with a new toy.

88b

miwhite I find mine wider that my road glide, but I enjoy riding it, just difficult to go slow on.

smokey3644

I know what you mean, I keep over shooting my turns, going much faster than you think.  I have to be careful in town not to pick up any tickets, every time I look at the speedo I'm doing 55 instead of 35. :smiled: