May 08, 2024, 01:51:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's the best way to.....

Started by Paniolo, July 14, 2009, 06:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

Clean out a gas tank. I'm having the carbs cleaned and rebuilt on one of my Kawasaki Police Training bikes. It's an older bike that has been well used and abused. While the carbs are off, what is the best way to clean out the inside of the tank? I don't want to line it with Kreem, just clean out all the crud inside. It has a fuel gauge float inside.

Thanks!
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

texaskatfish

Paniolo I know there are some old threads on this. Maybe FBSirG can assist?

I seem to recall some folks loading a tank with BBs or other small metallic items and then wrapping tank in some towels and runnin it thru a clothes drier with no heat on. Not sure how that may or may not be good for a fuel gauge sending unit...............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

02roadcling

I remember reading about a handfull of 1/2" nuts. Count them on the way in and also on the way out.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Phu Cat

Count them on the way in and also on the way out.

Excellant idea.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

02roadcling

I cleaned an old tank off a virago using a quart of gas and shook it like crazy, then used a water hose, air, and a little more gas a few times. Didn't do the drier thing but I will on my bike if I ever need to.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Panzer

If you do the drier thing (oh boy) suggest you do it when the wife/girlfriend is away.
You just might have a stay in the emergency room.......just saying. :crook:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Mike52

You guys are kidding about the BBs, clothes dryer and ½" nuts, right?
I can't imagine how anything metal, including the BBS would be good for the liner that's applied to the inside of the tank, not to mention the ½" nuts wreaking havoc on the sending unit  :bf:. He mentioned that he wanted to clean the tank, not prep it for an application of Kreem. If I were going to try to flush trash out of a tank, I would use gas (being very careful) or mineral spirits, no rolling metal parts for me. JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

02roadcling

Not kidding, it was discussed on the old HTT site forever it seemed.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

texaskatfish

I'm betting if FBSirG sees this thread he'll post an archive...............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

92flhtcu

Paniolio, depends on the "crud" inside, if it is rust, well thats a whole different direction....If just old gas/light varnish and the original liner(paint, coating, etc) if it has one, is intact,  drain it, about a 1/2 cup dish soap and hot water hose, if lined do not use pressure washer as it may start to strip the liner, drain it and then just let water hose(cold okay) run in it until all the soap is gone. Drain and dry it, should be good to go. If it gets more serious than that repost and there are more solutions depending on the problem
Rob
Need a bigger garage

Paniolo

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to pass on the bbs and nuts option and just do a flush with a strong solvent. Then I'll blow it out with an air hose.

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

takwolf

You could try diluted muriatic acid. Not real strong acid. But, if it is lined, I don't know.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

bouncingVman

Wasn't that thread about the BB's or nuts or whatever about removing the old liner in the tank so a new one can be applied ??

-Todd
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Mike52

Quote from: bouncingVman on July 15, 2009, 04:47:19 AM
Wasn't that thread about the BB's or nuts or whatever about removing the old liner in the tank so a new one can be applied ??
-Todd
Todd, that was my point, totally different from what Paniolo was asking  :rtfb:.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net