April 27, 2024, 12:55:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Terry Components TV-3 Closed Loop Tuner

Started by Garry in AZ, July 17, 2009, 06:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry in AZ

HI, I'm new to the EVO section, and I'm posting this question for a friend of mine.

He has a 1996 Ultra with MM FI. Mild touring cam and Thunderheader. Stock ECM map.
He had a DFO on the bike, but it developed a problem and would not idle correctly, and ran lean.
He removed the DFO, and replaced it with a Terry Components TV-3 closed loop system. The O2 sensor is mounted in the rear cylinder pipe 5" from the rear cylinder.

He is under the impression that the TV-3 is supposed to "tune itself" as he rides.

Yesterday he went for a ride, the bike idles fine and runs okay until he gets under light loads, and then it pings quite a bit. If he reduces the throttle, the pinging stops, or if he goes full throttle the pinging stops. He can't figure out why he has the pinging under partial throttle conditions. He rode it about 60 miles to see if the TV-3 would correct the problem, but no luck.

Since the TV-3 only sees input from the crank position sensor and the throttle position sensor, could something else need adjusting?

Any ideas, feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!